Help... puppy not eating. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kels1013

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Help... puppy not eating.

My Koda is 11 weeks old and heís been home for a week and half now. He has hardly eaten anything since being home.

I took him to the vet last week and he said Koda was underweight at 17lbs and to try handfeeding him or mixing chicken or cottage cheese in his dry food but none of that has worked. When I mix stuff into the dry, sometimes heíll eat a little bit if he canít eat around it, but rarely. Sometimes if itís a new mixture heíll gobble it right up but then the next meal wonít even touch that same concoction. Iíve tried 3 different dry foods, the bag the breeder sent with me, blue buffalo wilderness which is what Iíve mainly tried feeding him, and a little bit of performatrin ultra to test. None seem to appeal to him. So far Iíve mixed boiled chicken, beef broth, chicken broth, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and fresh pet select. Iím getting very worried because I want him to get the right nutrients and be healthy but I just canít figure out how to get him to eat. And I know heís hungry because heíll scrounge for treat crumbs and waits for his meals as I prepare them.

His breeder did tell me that he was on a raw food diet but also ate dry food. She told me it wouldnít be a problem feeding him dry and there wouldnít need to be any ease into it. And he has worms which I donít know if that would affect it any?

I go back into the vet on Monday and will discuss with him but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions?

I would try new dry food if I knew that he would it eat it but I canít just keep buying dry food thatís going to get thrown away. Iím also thinking about caving in and start feeding raw but I know that will be much more expensive and I havenít got the slightest idea what and how much to feed. Iíve tried looking it up but Iím mostly staring at the screen dumbfounded not understanding anything! Lol I guess in the long run Iíll save money since I just keep throwing away his food that he hasnít touched anyways. And Iíve been trying to feed him a good grain free dog food brand but should I try a grain brand that may be tastier or just drop dry food altogether?

Iím kind of at a loss right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Try soaking the food in GOAT milk. Pups can digest goat milk pretty well, and soaking the food will make it more appetizing. You can find pasteurized goat milk at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and other well stocked natural grocers in the milk cooler. Raw would probably be better, but it's very hard to find in urban areas. You can also find powdered at feed supply stores, or some pet supply stores. The Honest Kitchen makes a good one called Pro Bloom, if you have any high-end pet supply stores local to you that sell their products.

DO NOT SUBSTITUTE COW'S MILK (dogs don't digest it well).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Okay thank you! Iíll go out and try to find some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I tried soaking the food in goats milk. He liked the goats milk but just drank the milk and licked the kibble. I mixed the dry kibble with wellness puppy wet food. He hobbled that up, but weíll see if heíll continue to eat it.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page