Changing puppy food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Changing puppy food

When I first picked up my puppy from the breeder he was on 4health puppy food. He didn't seem to like it and looked really skinny for his age. I did some research and decided to slowly change him to Blue Buffalo Wilderness for more protein. He's now 12 weeks old and I have substituted 1/4 of the 4health with Blue Buffalo each feeding. He seems to love it and is starting to put on weight but I noticed that his first bowel movement it firm and normal but the next time I take him out its kind of runny then the next one is the consistency of pudding and stinks bad. I know switching food too fast can cause this. I have read some puppies have problems with the high protein in Blue Buffalo. I don't want to keep switching his food, I'm just looking for what's going to be the best for him.

I'll add that he gets no human food and gets a small busy bone when I leave for work as a reward for going to his cage. I'm looking for some input if anyone has had this and if he just needs to get use to the little bit of new food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

Concerning food – Blue Buffalo has had many problems. FROMM’s kibble is well respected on this site. http://frommfamily.com/products/gold...ge-breed-puppy Store Locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2
They also make treats.

* This is Family Owned, Family Run, & Family Manufactured. Most pet food companies are not.
*Fromm Family Foods is a fifth-generation family-owned and operated artisan pet food company.
*Produced with a commitment to quality and consistency at Fromm's hands-on facility in Wisconsin. High-nutrient digestibility and utilization offers complete and balanced nutrition.
*Third-party pathogenic bacteria testing is practiced on all production batches to ensure safety.

Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old (like you are doing), taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

I would personally not feed any Purina products due to questionable ingredients & sourcing.

"Busy Bones" are manufactured by Purina.

2 Examples if these are the products you are using:

IF using - Busy Rollhide
ingredients: Beefhide, Rye Flour,

Maltodextrins, (see below)
Sugar, (see below)
Animal Digest - “There appear to be associations between rendered or hydrolyzed ingredients and the presence of pentobarbital in dog food. The ingredients Meat and Bone Meal (MBM), Beef and Bone Meal (BBM), Animal Fat (AF)(see below), and Animal Digest (AD)are rendered or hydrolyzed from animal sources that could include euthanized animals”. (fda.gov)
Wheat Flour, Lecithin, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Sorbic Acid (a Preservative), Citrus Fiber, Propionic Acid (a Preservative), Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative).

*According to Web MD for dogs, rawhide and beef hide chews can present a choking hazard if they're not used under supervision.

. It can be a choking a hazard. Once your dog swallows a tiny, broken piece of rawhide, that portion can get lodged in his throat; putting him in serious danger.
· It can cause digestive blockage. Allowing your pooch to swallow a large piece of rawhide can also endanger his life. Rawhides can expand inside Fido’s stomach, putting him at risk of a fatal blockage. It can even wrap around his intestines, causing the same obstruction.
· It can cause gastrointestinal problems. If your pooch ingests too many rawhides, he may develop gastrointestinal complications.

. Some rawhides contain deadly poisons. The process of making rawhide involves chemically separating the outer layer of skin (usually of a cow) from the hide. This process leaves deadly poisons in the chew, including arsenic and formaldehyde. doggington post
Not to mention the toxic chemicals that are used to process the hides!
When tested: Lead, Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium salts, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals have been detected in raw hides. Dogs Naturally Magazine

IF using Busy Bone Ultimate:
ingredients:
Rice,
Glycerin,
Glycerin (glycerine, glycerol) is a sugar alcohol (a carbohydrate) used as a food additive. Glycerin syrup is used as a sweetener. (nutrientreview.com)
Water,
Brewers Dried Yeast, Wheat Flour, Corn Germ Meal, (these can create itching in some dogs)
Added Color, = WHAT color?
Poultry By-Product Meal,
Corn Syrup is sugar (see below),
Sorbic Acid (a Preservative),
Sugar & Corn Syrup: added sugars, especially those added to dog foods and treats, are not good for your dog. They can create an addiction and lead to health and dental problems. (The Honest Kitchen)
Animal Fat (WHAT animal??? AF= See above)
Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Pork, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Wheat Gluten, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Gelatin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soy Lecithin,
Yellow 5, & Yellow 6 & Red 40: The petroleum-based colorants Red 40, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 have all been found to produce harmful effects in laboratory studies. Yellow 6, for example, has been found to cause testicular tumors and cancerous growths in the adrenal glands of lab rats. These three colorants have also been found to contain illegally high amounts of benzidine and 4-aninobiphenyl, both of which are known carcinogens. (naturalnews.com)

BHA (a Preservative)
BHA — is “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen” (a cancer-causing agent)
(1) Report on Carcinogens, Eleventh Edition; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Toxicology Program, CAS No. 25013-16-5

BHT (a Preservative), BHT is a known carcinogen. In lab animals, BHT has been known to be linked to cancer. ... BHT is a banned preservative for food sources in several countries including Australia, Sweden, and Japan.
Calcium Carbonate,
Citric Acid,
Blue 1, - Blue #1 (E133): Banned in Norway, Finland, and France, studies have shown them to cause brain cancer and inhibit nerve-cell development. (Reader's Digest)
Yellow 6 -see above
Caloric Content: 3191 kcal/kg, 1443 kcal/piece

Hope this info helps.

Moms
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all that information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Elite Member

Yes listen to moms... don't go with the blue buffalo. We are almost certain it gave my puppy toxic heavy metal poisoning along with many other dogs. They are in court again for lying about what's in their food!

SQUIRREL!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

I worry that high protein, rich kibbles are also an invitation for rapid growth and pano.

I'd look for a large-breed puppy food. Fromm makes one, but there are several brands that also do. 4Health and Diamond are interchangeable (4Health is made by Diamond), so if you want to switch away from 4Health, then avoid other things Diamond makes too (TOTW, Costco/Kirkland, etc.).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:29 PM

I fed my first gsd blue buffalo and he did not do well on it. I ended up switching off of it. The gsd puppy I have now I feed Fromm, the breeder I bought him from also feeds her dogs Fromm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:09 PM

I too was feeding what the breeder said which was Eukanuba but i ending up switching too Taste of wild which my pup seems to like and I find the ingredients and reviews just fine but I do plan to switch to FROMM
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:37 AM

When I got Thor at 8 weeks....I.had him on BB LG breed puppy grain free...at 12 weeks old I switched him to Orijen large breed puppy...he is now 8 months old and is doing great on Orijen. I have never tried Fromm...so I comment on that food. I have to agree with everyone else about BB....over the years I never feed my Shepherds anything from China....no Purina products...or any products with by products or no named meals in it to name a few.....dog food advisor can be a decent source of info....as well as this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page