How much to feed him? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

How much to feed him?

My now 8 week old German Shepherd puppy seems to inhale his food every time I feed him as if he's never eaten a day in his life. I've looked up stuff online and found this is common with puppies but now I'm also wondering how much should I be feeding him? I normally would give him a little over one cup of food a day and after looking at growth charts a lot of sources are saying he should be about 20lbs now, and he's only about 12 (taking him to the vet again later this week for a check up and confirmed weight). My only way to weigh him currently is subtracting the added weight when I step on my scale with him vs by myself as I don't have a dog scale and it seems to be inaccurate with him on it alone (says 8lbs...he's heavier than 8lbs).

So yeah, how much should I be feeding this little guy?
kpdennis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:21 PM

How much to feed him?

Here is what our breeder suggested, she is also a veterinarian and offered a health guarantee, so I feel like she definitely had the dogs best interest in mind when suggesting this. FYI when we brought our pup home at 8.5 weeks he was 18.5 lbs. You need to feed him wayyy more. Also - stepping on the scale with him and subtracting his weight from yours is accurate.

How much to feed him?-img_0047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kpdennis likes this.

Last edited by Trix; 11-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:23 PM

How much to feed him?

I believe I fed 1 cup, three times a day. You need to give your puppy considerably more food.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Master Member

Start with the recommendations on your feed bag. Those are only very basic guidelines. You should be monitoring his condition and adjusting food based on that rather than numbers on a scale. As a puppy I'd keep him a little chubby. Once he starts hitting his growth spurs id lean him out a bit. Also, ignore the growth charts. Mine was smaller than the charts until I think 6 months and he had a big growth spurt and hit 62 lbs. now at 7 months he's 71 very lean lbs and hopefully slowing down. He's a b litter pup, his biggest sibling from the A litter is only 60 lbs still but I'm betting they'll end up at similar weights. Some have their growth spurts earlier than others.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Master Member

There should be a feeding chart on the bag of food that you can use as a starting point. How much you need to feed will vary considerably from one brand to another (and sometimes even from one formula to another of the same brand) based on how many calories per cup the food contains. If you are feeding an All Life Stages food the amounts that are recommended on the bag will have to be modified when feeding a puppy - in general, for an ALS (or adult formula), you double the amount for a puppy from 8 weeks to 3 months, from 3 to 6 months you feed 1.5 times the amount, and from 6 to 11 months you feed 1.25 times the amount.

That said, feed to body condition, not an arbitrary number. You want slow, steady growth ... though they will of course have growth spurts. I don't agree with keeping a puppy on the chubby side. They should be kept lean right from the start. All puppies grow at different rates, so I wouldn't put much stock into the growth charts - they are just averages. As long as the puppy is lean and healthy I wouldn't worry about how they compare to others of the same age. Definitely monitor weight to make sure the puppy is growing at a steady rate and adjust feeding amount up or down based on body condition and digestion - if you start to see loose stools, you are probably overfeeding.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

His stool has been firm so far. None loose or runny. The bag says he should be eating 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups. I'll probably bump it up to 2 cups per feeding since 11lbs does seem a bit light compared to most charts even if I shouldn't keep them as strict numbers to stick to.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:15 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

1-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups is probably the daily total, not the amount of each meal. How many times a day are you feeding him? And what kind of food?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:18 PM

At 8 weeks old, I would feed him 3 times a day. One cup of food per day is not nearly enough, which is why he is acting so hungry. What food are you feeding?

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Master Member

Omen was 13 pounds when we brought him home at 8 weeks. He'll be 7 months in about a week and he's currently somewhere between 60 and 70 pounds. I wouldn't worry too much about weight as long as the puppy is healthy. Overfeeding is no healthier for the puppy than underfeeding.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynWins View Post
I normally would give him a little over one cup of food a day

So yeah, how much should I be feeding this little guy?
Just saying the puppy needs to eat way more than this. One cup a day, for a GSD puppy, is very little food.

~ Diane ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page