Natural Balance LID Venison & Sweet Potato... thoughts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Natural Balance LID Venison & Sweet Potato... thoughts

I think it is overpriced lol, but I have two (adult) dogs (1 WGSD & 1 other breed) who have been on it for years and it was something of a miracle food for them. (One with allergies that cleared and have stayed cleared; another with gastro problems that also cleared.)

But this is for a 14 week old WGSD pup that I feel is underweight. Breeder had her on 4Health Turkey and she doesn't seem to care much for it and her stool is consistently too loose. I'm concerned about future anal gland issues with this continuing. Yes, I am a worrywart.

From what I've read, the calcium, protein and fat are in the recommended levels.

Any thoughts or alternate foods that are not poultry?

TIA for any guidance.

... everyone thinks they have the best dog... and none of them are wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Are you sure she doesn't need another round of deworming at 14 weeks? When I see an underweight pup with loose poop, I'm generally reaching for the Panacur unless I know they've been recently dewormed (last 2-3 weeks or sooner). I'd start with a fecal test at the vet before changing food.

I was told by someone I trust that the fat in that particular NB-LID food is too low to be ideal for a growing pup. (For comparison, Fromm LPB is 14%, Acana's 15%, and Orijen puppy is 20%.)

I think before doing a L-I-D food and eliminating poultry (i.e., approaching this like an allergy), I'd instead upgrade to Fromm LBP or Acana LPB, or something similar, add some probiotics and bovine colostrum, and see what happens for a couple of months before eliminating whole classes of protein. You might end up with a pup that can do a rotational diet.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:06 AM
Master Member

I used that for my pup...worked great but we switched to wellness simple instead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page