Breeder recommended Eukanuba puppy kibble - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Breeder recommended Eukanuba puppy kibble

I'm trying to get everything ready for our new pup and asked my breeder what she feeds her dogs and she said Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Kibble. From what I am reading here I do NOT want to feed him that.

He will be 10 weeks when we get him, is it okay to switch to a new puppy food and if so, do I need to gradually make that transition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBunny View Post
I'm trying to get everything ready for our new pup and asked my breeder what she feeds her dogs and she said Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Kibble. From what I am reading here I do NOT want to feed him that.

He will be 10 weeks when we get him, is it okay to switch to a new puppy food and if so, do I need to gradually make that transition?
I switched. I did it cold turkey. I have no issues switching either of my dogs cold turkey. But I've always varies my older males diet, and now my puppy's. Maybe I've just been lucky. Or we create issues by never switching good types in our dogs. Not implying dogs with stomach issues don't exist.
wolfy dog and VTBunny like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Elite Member

That can depend on how close the foods are in formulas. If your pup hasn't eaten in 12 hours, you may be able to go cold turkey. What if the new food causes diarrhea? Do you have a backup plan? Most reccomend a gradual switch. Does your breeder contract state what you are supposed to feed? Some do. Also Probioctics can help. Bene bac is sold at the farm store. I usually find it in the horse section.
VTBunny likes this.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

If that's what your breeder feeds and the puppy has good stools and no signs of allergies with it, I'd keep feeding it for a few weeks or months when you bring the puppy home.
VTBunny likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBunny View Post

For what it's worth, I would suggest sticking to what the breeder advises you. Obviously that is what the pup will be eating when you get it. Assuming that you researched the breeder before purchasing the pup, they must be doing something right.

Why change something that is working? I would also suggest that you add some yogurt to your pups meal twice a day to provide some extra calcium for growing bones, this also helps come teething time as well. But, you should ask your breeder for their advice first.

Personally, and no offense....but if I found out that one of my puppy purchasers was seeking advice from people on a dog forum I would return your deposit and tell you to buy a pup from the people giving you advice.

Kim
VTBunny likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM

I tried cold turkey with my pup, breeder had her on Kirkland Signature puppy chow chicken, rice, & vegetable formula (Costco house brand). I didn't have a Costco membership so I got Diamond Naturals puppy lamb & rice, Diamond makes the Costco brand, and I tried to slowly switch then went cold turkey when the food ran out faster than I expected.

It went horribly. Pup was very un-enthused about the switch all along and the old trick of only letting a puppy eat for 10 minutes then taking the food away didn't work as her appetite never changed one bit even if she missed 24 hours worth of meals and constipation was a major issue. Then when I did the cold turkey switch she got bad diarrhea / vomiting and refused to eat anything for over 72 hours and drank very little liquids. She was extremely lethargic, freaked me out pretty good. She finally started eating some wet food after we took her to the vet and she was given an electrolyte injection, basically an IV.

So I said forget it, got a Costco membership and bought her original food. It's worked out well she's very food driven now and we stock up at Costco when her food runs out every couple of weeks.

Long story short, I won't be doing a quick food switch again especially to a different kind of protein. But don't interpret the above anecdote as advocating for sticking with the breeders food, I'm comfortable with the quality/price of the Costco formula and my dog likes it. I'm confident I could switch now, slowly, but I don't see the need.
VTBunny likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Master Member

It depends on the dog, but a gradual switch is definitely safest. I'd keep the puppy on what the breeder has been feeding until he is adjusted to his new home. Then start to slowly mix in the new food, gradually increasing the amount of new food until you have fully transitioned to just the new food. Keep an eye on stools as you change and if they get loose, back off on the new a bit for a little longer.
VTBunny likes this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Agree with others on here, feed your pup on what the breeder has been feeding him whilst he settles in. There will be enough going on for him without a change of food. Then, when settled, change him over slowly to a food of your choice. None of my dogs have ended up on the food they came home with.
VTBunny likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Crowned Member

There is nothing wrong with asking advice. Eukanuba may have been a good food once, I don't know, but it isn't the best at this point. Evenso, your puppy will be making quite a transition when he first arrives. Having food be familiar might avoid some minor issues for the first week or so. Then go ahead and switch him. And yes, it is best to do it gradually.

Your breeder gives your puppy a start, but your pup's health is up to you. And you are the one that is going to have to manage health concerns down the line. It does matter what we put into our dogs, that they will be eating, for the most part 90-100% of their diet. And puppies grow an incredible amount this first year. They go from about 14-24 ounces to 70-80 pounds in the first year -- boys do. That's a LOT of growing. When you think of a human baby that incubates for 9 months is about 6-9 pounds at birth and how much to they gain that first year? It isn't 50-80 pounds.

So yes, you're concern is real. Feed him the best food you can afford for this first year or two. Giving him a week or two to get acclimated is fine, then I would go ahead and switch because I think you will feel better about it.
griz and VTBunny like this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'll keep him on this diet for now since this is what the breeder uses. I tend to be an over researcher and from what I was reading here and on the suggested Dog Food Review site (Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble) it looked like it was far from the "best" choice. It seemed surprising to me but I trust her and she has great dogs so I'll go with it for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page