My pup doesn't like food for long. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

My pup doesn't like food for long.

Is it normal for my 16 week old female to go from loving a food or treat to hating it in a couple weeks. What should I do? Its not like she refuses to eat, its just she takes her time. I still haven't got her eating schedule down pat, seeing as my wife always worries, and tries to get her to eat. For example we gave her pedigree half part wet half part dry in the morning full part dry in the evening. Both around 6AM/PM. In the morning when I wake up I feed her 50/50 wet and dry she will eat it all in seconds. when it comes to second feeding I give just dry, but she won't rush to eat it. I will take it away, but my wife won't. If she doesn't she will eat the whole thing by around 8,9PM. Should I keep taking the food away, or change the food, or just try 50/50 day and night.

Its the same thing with treats. First vet visit they had diamond dog treats, she loved them. I bought them and a week later she wouldn't touch it. Second visit they had pig ears, she loved those bought it, after a week she wouldn't touch it. The only treat she always eats is her training treats, She attacks them come training time. Through out the day she won't touch either treats. I have given both treats to friends who have dogs.

Is it normal? All these treats she totally loved for about a week, than just had 0 interest. Should I keep changing till I find something she loves for the long run or is it something to expect.

Also, should I change food, or change how she eats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Master Member

Didn't read the whole thing but I see your 16 week puppy has suddenly slowed down eating? Probably teething. Try soaking her kibble or mix it with wet food
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
Didn't read the whole thing but I see your 16 week puppy has suddenly slowed down eating? Probably teething. Try soaking her kibble or mix it with wet food
Well I give her 50/50 wet and dry in the morning and just dry in the PM she eats all of her food in the morning, but won't touch the kibble alone. When I feed her after about 20 minutes I take her food away and try and keep her on a schedule. If my wife feeds her she won't take it away, but she will finish her food maybe 3 hours later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Knighted Member

I wouldn't constantly change foods .. that will just make the problem worse because your puppy will become very picky. What I would do is find the best food that you can afford and just feed that. I would give her 10 minutes to eat (really, most dogs should finish in just a couple of minutes tops) and then pick it up and add it to her next meal.

If you could give us a list of foods available to you, we could help you with a good choice. Pedigree is not a good dog food.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Crowned Member

Ditch the pig ears. They can cause pancreatitis. I'm surprised that any vet clinic would be offering them!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I wouldn't constantly change foods .. that will just make the problem worse because your puppy will become very picky. What I would do is find the best food that you can afford and just feed that. I would give her 10 minutes to eat (really, most dogs should finish in just a couple of minutes tops) and then pick it up and add it to her next meal.

If you could give us a list of foods available to you, we could help you with a good choice. Pedigree is not a good dog food.
I live on an island with a limit quality, brand wise. I started with Taste of the wild, she did enjoy it, but my vet recommended to give her a less nutritious food for her growing age in order to limit the speed of her growth. I was going to go with purina puppy, but some stores do not carry it. the only places that carry a higher end brand would be the pet store I got the taste of the wild, witch can be found at the vet. They also carry brands like blue, witch I heard in a sense of nutrition Taste of the wild is better. The local K-mart is the biggest store we have(I know right haha) but they carry the pedigree and purina. probably why purina runs out fast. I would try pet food sites, but they also are limited with shipping. So at the moments its really just taste of the wild, purina, and pedigree. I'm not 100% sure when I can switch back to taste of the wild seeing as she is still only 16 weeks and growing, and the recommendation was to keep her on a lighter nutrient diet so she doesn't grow to fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page