Switching to new food quickly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Switching to new food quickly?

Hello all,

Here in the past week my 7 month old has become very itchy, biting back and hips, and some flaky skin when i brush him. My trainer suggested changing his food because i also have noticed he has a loose stool pretty often. I have always fed him Fromm, which could be the problem. My pup may have a chicken allergy or something else that is in the food. So, i decided to switch him to Acana Heritage meats. It is mostly pork which i think he will love. The only problem is i only have a few cups of Fromm left and the Acana isnt suppose to come in the mail until tomorrow. Do any of yall have any suggestions on how to switch the food quickly. I know you are suppose to do it over a week but it doesnt seem i can do that? What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance for the replies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Master Member

I switched mine over night. He was on verus large breed puppy from the breeder and she only sent about 3 days worth. It was impractical trying to get the verus and I liked the ingredients of Fromm better anyway so I ordered some. It came in two days later and that next morning I switched him. YMMV, but I had no issues at all. Since you're in a pinch anyway I'd say just do it and hope for the best.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Not to scare you but I must warn you when I got my pup I did not like the food the breeder had her on so for three days I mixed half and half on the fourth day I went 100% with the food I wanted and she got very sick and lethargic. She wouldn't eat anything. I literally thought I killed her in the first week. She was only 8 weeks old when I got her so that may have been a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in