Feeding 5 cups of food per day and pup is still skinny - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Feeding 5 cups of food per day and pup is still skinny

Yesterday my husband and I purchased an 8 month old male GSD pup we have named Cash, His owners were feeding him 5 cups of Hills Science Diet per day. From what they told me their vet told them to do that to keep him lean at this age. I have seen lean dogs and I have seen dogs that are skinny. Cash looks too thin to me. His ribs can easily be seen and he just looks too thin. His spine is easily felt and his hips are the same way. I don't want to get him to the point of being obese but I want him filled out a lot more than he is. I understand keeping a pup slim and lean to keep developing bones healthy and keeping joints strong but when is lean too lean? Valkyrie is lean but her ribs are not easily seen she has a nice tuck and looks really good. She is 6 1/2 months old will be 7 months on Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Elite Member

I'd transition to a better quality all life stages food with higher calories per cup and/or add boiled meat, eggs and a starch.

Last edited by ausdland; 07-04-2017 at 06:18 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Elite Member

When was he last wormed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Hi RomansGirl!

SCIENCE DIET! Eeeeekkkkk!

Look at the differences in protein content:

Science Diet Large Breed Ingredients:Chicken, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Lactic Acid, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Oat Fiber, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols for Freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene, Apples, Broccoli, Carrots, Cranberries, Green Peas.

Fromm’s Gold Large Breed Ingredients: Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Whole Egg, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lamb, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Cheese, Salmon Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Chicken Cartilage, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Tryptophan, Dl-Methionine, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamins [Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin], Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate], Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Pediococcus Acidilactici Fermentation Product.

As Ausland said the dog needs better nutrition.

Moms
Sunsilver likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I would have a full check up at your vets and change food. A lot of vets sell Science Diet, it's part of their income, so don't be surprised if your vet says to keep the Science Diet. I would not.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes they just need more. I think mine was eating 6 cups a day when my vet say "he is way too rhin, you've got to feed him more" MORE than six cups? I think I may have even fed him 7 cups a day very briefly during a growth spurt.

My dog was always eating quality food and sometimes just hard to keep weight on him. He just turned two, he is still intact, and is just now easy to keep weight on that I have to be sure he isn't over eating or over weight.

Victor High Energy is a better kibble that is high cal, you don't have to feed nearly as much to keep them looking decent
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

Science Diet is expensive for as bad as it is. From is good but it is also pretty expensive.

I use Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice and I wean puppies on the food and feed it to critters of all ages.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Peas, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pea Flour, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Fish Meal, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (Source Of Dha), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Kale, Chia Seed, Pumpkin, Blueberries, Oranges, Quinoa, Dried Kelp, Coconut, Spinach, Carrots, Papaya, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Reuteri Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Beta Carotene, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 26.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%
DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) 0.05%
Zinc (min.) 150 mg/kg
Selenium (min.) 0.3 mg/kg
Vitamin E (min.) 150 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.) 2.5%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.4%
Total Microorganisms* Not Less Than 1,000,000 CFU/lb (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Caloric Content:
Metabolizable Energy (ME) 3,708 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup).

The cost is currently $35 for 40 pounds. It gives you a good bang for your buck. I have a youngster who is almost 8 months. I give him 3 cups twice a day, but Jenna eats some of that (she gets 2 cups twice a day. I figure the boy is eating for growth and the girl will be 12 in a month, so she can eat what she wants.

Sometimes, the dogs seem to do better on a mid-range food that has some fillers in them. They eat more because the calorie content is less, but the protein:fat ratios seem to be easier on them.

Generally my adult females get 1.5 cups twice a day. Growing puppies need more.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

He was wormed at his last vet visit. I normally would feed him Taste Of The Wild puppy to get him weighted out but I would like to do so at a slightly slower pace. I might look into the Diamond Naturals or maybe a couple other grain free puppy foods for him. He is a fine looking dog with a sweet temperament and did really well at the fireworks display two nights ago. He would have settled down and went to sleep if the guy who invited himself to sit with us had left him alone. This guy kept trying to steal him and kept saying that Cash needed a better home than mine because I was starving him to death. Keep in mind we bought two hotdogs apiece for the pups as a special treat.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

My 95 lb male ate tops 4 cups a day
Shadow at 50lbs gets 2.

How are you all feeding this much kibble???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Carly eats 3 cups. Russell eats 3.5 cups, and the almost 11 month old puppy eats 4-5. She'll slow down eventually. Right now she's like a teenage boy, lol.
selzer likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page