Please anybody... help appreciated with puppy question!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By carmspack
  • 2 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Please anybody... help appreciated with puppy question!!

We have had our 9 week old gsd puppy for a bit over a week now. We started to feed Taste of the wild immediately. He was not eating this though before. Breeder vaguely mentioned 4 grain puppy food and boiled chicken. I do not know how much or how often the chicken was given. I also boiled some chicken and fed him for 3 nights maybe 2 ounces boiled chicken and some kibble only at his meal time. Big question is... I heard taste of the wild is great food. He does love to eat it so far!! But... his poop has been firm and good but then it gets mushy and almost runny on and off. Why!!!! Is this just him adjusting to the food ?? Maybe his stomach is just still maturing since he is only 9 weeks?? Any ideas or pointers I would really appreciate. I just don't understand the firm poop and then runny poop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

The change in food is the most likely reason. I'd quit the boiled chicken and let him get used to the one food alone first. Some runny stools here and there aren't something to worry too much over, unless he shows other signs of a problem too. Lack of his normal energy, looking sickly, etc.. If he has the runs consistently, talk to the vet first, but in general you'd give his stomach a chance to settle, then something like white rice boiled to a paste and add a little chicken in a day or so.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 04:03 PM

I gave my 10 week old gsd totw since she was 6 weeks. vet recommended a lower nutrious food due to the fact that she might grow to fast so I slowed down on it haven't tried the chicken yet at the moment just sticking to half and half wet and dry in the morning and dry for later in the day. I actually have an open topic on it right now. but when I transitioned her from totw to a lower nutrious food her poop was wet for a day or two now its normal I think its the transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Crowned Member

Change --

food , water , location , routine , physical activity , sleep patterns .

all of these changes will affect the microbiome.

stop changing . allow for plenty of rest . you can give a demulcent -- marshmallow root or slippery elm to soothe the stomach -- mix with some real kefir .

probiotics will help establish his digestive system

don't start antibiotics . ---
IronhideKennels likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

or maybe you better check out this thread https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-question.html --
see Magwart's post
"I just saw on FB that there are people currently reporting some potential problems with TOTW (including some cases of elevated liver enzymes), and TOTW is claiming they looked into it and nothing's wrong with those batches. Check out the multiple posts and comments here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TrailBla...=page_internal

Diamond (maker of TOTW) has a pretty rough recall history, and some past recalls have included very serious problems. Save your bag date code and watch your pup carefully. I would be very hesitant to feed it right now, as these kinds of reports in the past have sometimes been a "leading edge" warning, before a recall happens. It could be nothing, but with the history of recalls here, some caution is due.

I don't feed kibble so I am out of the loop
sit,stay and IronhideKennels like this.

Carmen

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Wow so much great advice. I definitely appreciate each and every answer. This is a big transition for all of my family. These dogs really deserve the best. ( all dogs do)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Also!!!! A few more questions for all you more seasoned owners. Rice... what does that do for the dog?? How often should you feed it?? I give him about a half cup of kibble in the am and half cup afternoon.... half cup at night feeding. Does this sound right... I am just a little lost on how much to feed and I know it isn't good to just overfeed them, even though he would eat more if I gave it for sure.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

I decide the amount to feed them by looking at them. If they look to skinny, feed more, if they are too round, feed less. You'll find the balance. Most important is too keep pups skinny.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Master Member

I also am on the anti TOTW food. Feed something better like Fromm.
My pup had runny poop until 6 months old. She's now on wellness simple and some raw. Doing amazing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

rice does not really contribute much good , at least nutritionally.

it is used as a mechanical block to fix the symptom of loose stool.

white rice is high glycemic index -- starchy carbohydrat.

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page