Puppy Food and Pricing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Food and Pricing

Hi,

After having my puppy reject Blue Buffalo by diarrhea, many of you recommended I switch to feeding Fromm Heartland Gold LBP. This prompted me to do a price comparison list of attractive dog food brands as reviewed by dogfoodadvisor.com

I found Fromm Heartland Gold to be a little on the expensive side and was wondering if you guys have had good experiences with other cheaper brands that has also been rated 4 stars by that website... (Better than Purina, anyway!) I will list the brands I am considering, please give me your thoughts and opinions!

- Chicken Soup for the Soul LBP
- Eukanuba LBP
- Fromm Gold LBP
- Hill's Science Diet LBP
- Nutro Max LBP
- Premium Edge LBP
- Pro Pac Ultimates LBP
- Simply Nourish LBP

(Slightly more expensive than those listed above, but still cheaper than Fromm HG)

- Horizon Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- Wellness Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- NutriSource LBP
- Nutro Ultra LBP
- Taste of the Wild Puppy Formula (Both flavors seem to have the same price per lbs)

That said, if Fromm Heartland Gold LBP is the ONLY way to go, then I will buy it...

Last edited by Feathers; 06-05-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Master Member

I feed my dogs Sport Dog Food. I choose it because they have grain free varieties that don't have potatoes or peas which a lot of other grain free foods seem to contain. They also have a grain free puppy variety you can take a look at:

https://www.sportdogfood.com/elite-g...g-puppy-30-18/
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Hi,

After having my puppy reject Blue Buffalo by diarrhea, many of you recommended I switch to feeding Fromm Heartland Gold LBP. This prompted me to do a price comparison list of attractive dog food brands as reviewed by dogfoodadvisor.com

I found Fromm Heartland Gold to be a little on the expensive side and was wondering if you guys have had good experiences with other cheaper brands that has also been rated 4 stars by that website... (Better than Purina, anyway!) I will list the brands I am considering, please give me your thoughts and opinions!

- Chicken Soup for the Soul LBP
- Eukanuba LBP
- Fromm Gold LBP
- Hill's Science Diet LBP
- Nutro Max LBP
- Premium Edge LBP
- Pro Pac Ultimates LBP
- Simply Nourish LBP

(Slightly more expensive than those listed above, but still cheaper than Fromm HG)

- Horizon Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- Wellness Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- NutriSource LBP
- Nutro Ultra LBP
- Taste of the Wild Puppy Formula (Both flavors seem to have the same price per lbs)

That said, if Fromm Heartland Gold LBP is the ONLY way to go, then I will buy it...
How fast are you going thru the bag of food? Unless it's really cost prohibitive I'd stick with whats working for you. It's a good food and your pup tolerates it well so I wouldn't be in a rush to switch it up, unless like I said it's really cost prohibitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Bramble, thanks for the link. I will look at it tomorrow morning on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
How fast are you going thru the bag of food? Unless it's really cost prohibitive I'd stick with whats working for you. It's a good food and your pup tolerates it well so I wouldn't be in a rush to switch it up, unless like I said it's really cost prohibitive.
Not very quickly atm because she is still below 4 months old. I am only feeding her about 3+ cups of food a day. Neither of the food we currently have for her is working for me. The Blue Buffalo will be returned to petco soon because it has been giving her diarrhea non stop. The Purina is not just bad quality, it is making her have horse sized poop and she is starving ALL the time because it is not keeping her full...

Heck, I have a feeling she's not even full after finishing a whole bowl of food as she continues to beg for more when her bowl is empty. Not forgetting how she scarfs down the purina as if she hadn't seen food since being separated from her mother's milk... I'm also suspecting the purina is making her grow a bit too fast... Not sure if that's just normal puppy growth spurts or the food, but she is just sprouting like a weed atm.

I have no idea what made you think purina is good food or that my puppy is tolerating it well...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:35 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Fromm LBPG worked very well for us. Great company. Good food. If you do price comparisons, however, you do have to take into account calories because a food with less calories per cup may actually be more expensive to feed than a more expensive food with more calories per cup.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-06-2017 at 06:40 AM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Master Member

Sorry I thought the Fromm heartland was working for you. I use the Fromm gold lbp and haven't had any issues. I switched my pup to that from verus lbp, which is what the breeder was using. I feed him the kibble twice a day with a raw feeding in between.

For me, the Fromm is under $60 shipped for a 33 pound bag and I think the heartland was about the same price but for a 26 lb bag. You're probably going to have to just experiment with different foods til you find something that works but switching from the purina to a higher quality kibble can't hurt.

As for the growth spurts, they do grow really fast and I doubt it's the purina making her grow too fast. Good luck finding a food that's good for you and your pup
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 AM

My guy does amazing with Nutrisource Large Breed Puppy, Large Breed Puppy Food, Chicken, Rice Formula, NutriSource. We can find it for around $42. It is the only food he has ever eaten, but his coat is nice and shiny and we have had zero digestive issues.

Archer
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

NancyJ, how does calories per cup affect the food/puppy?

thegooseman90, ah no, I have not yet switched her. Was actually planning to just get the Fromm HGLBP last weekend, but I fell sick and I don't trust my hubby to buy it because he doesn't look at pricing or understand the need for a better food than those sold at Krogers x.x And from what I found out, it is about $50 for the Gold and $58 for the Heartland. So... quite a bit more expensive than the Gold heh.

Thanks, BigHemi45.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Master Member

I know you asked Nancy J but I can answer that. Say your pup needs 1000 calories per day. Cheap food gives it 200 calories per cup, more expensive food gives it 350 calories per cup. In this example your pup would need 5 cups of the cheap food and just under 3 cups of the expensive brand. So over time you'd go thru the bag of cheap food quicker. The difference would honestly be negligible tho because you could buy 150 lbs of old Roy for the price of 30 lbs of Fromm.

I'd vote to try the Fromm. I really like their ingredients and my pup does well on it. You could even just get the 12 lbs or whatever to try it out. Save a little money and less waste if your pup doesn't tolerate it. Even the 12 lbs would last a little bit at 3 cups a day.
NancyJ likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Master Member

Can't figure out how to edit on mobile, but I forgot to mention the above is just an example. I have no idea how many calories your pup needs or how many calories he'd get from a cup of cheapo depot kibble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page