Puppy Food and Pricing - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

She was 25 lbs at last vet visit, which was a few weeks ago. We're guessing she is around 25 to 30 right now. We'll weigh her again tomorrow. I was told that the feeding recommendations on dog food bags are usually based on the dog's guesstimated final weight as an adult. So I was shocked to see 6 cups for 60 lbs and no recommendation for 75lbs. If it's current weight, then that makes so much more sense!

I was feeding her a cup 3 times a day but switched to a cup and a half twice a day because of how voraciously she started attacking the food. I'm gonna go back to 3 times a day though, now that I'm giving her Fromm. I'm hoping that once she finds out she no longer constantly feels hungry that she'll slow down... My golden did lol...

Ok, so it is 3 cups a day, phew! I thought for a moment I made a mistake buying Fromm because I'm not sure her bowl can fit 3 cups at once let alone 6 lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Master Member

Hopefully this image attaches. It said something about resizing but I'm on my phone and idk how to. In case it doesn't, at 3-4 months and 30 pounds you'd feed 3.5 cups per day. As a starting point of course. I'd stick with that at least 2 weeks and then start adjusting up and down until you get her where you want her to be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4827_1496982755661.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	427306  
Cassidy's Mom likes this.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Okay, thank you! Yesterday's and this morning's poops were all quite nicely shaped, no mess in the cage and so far no water coming out of where it shouldn't! We shall see today! If she's good today too, then Fromm was a success!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Hi,

After having my puppy reject Blue Buffalo by diarrhea, many of you recommended I switch to feeding Fromm Heartland Gold LBP. This prompted me to do a price comparison list of attractive dog food brands as reviewed by dogfoodadvisor.com

I found Fromm Heartland Gold to be a little on the expensive side and was wondering if you guys have had good experiences with other cheaper brands that has also been rated 4 stars by that website... (Better than Purina, anyway!) I will list the brands I am considering, please give me your thoughts and opinions!

- Chicken Soup for the Soul LBP
- Eukanuba LBP
- Fromm Gold LBP
- Hill's Science Diet LBP
- Nutro Max LBP
- Premium Edge LBP
- Pro Pac Ultimates LBP
- Simply Nourish LBP

(Slightly more expensive than those listed above, but still cheaper than Fromm HG)

- Horizon Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- Wellness Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- NutriSource LBP
- Nutro Ultra LBP
- Taste of the Wild Puppy Formula (Both flavors seem to have the same price per lbs)

That said, if Fromm Heartland Gold LBP is the ONLY way to go, then I will buy it...
I fee my male GS puppy Taste of the wild puppy formula. He loves it!!! It's helped him stop having issues with diarrhea and out on some much needed weight, after getting parvo😪 He will only eat this food!
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:40 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Interesting. I have no idea how many calories she needs either LOL! Honestly, I'm not sure why exactly grain-free is so important.
You really don't need to know how many calories she needs, but comparing the kcals per cup of various brands is helpful when switching between brands with varying calories. And also, as Nancy pointed out, to see that one food delivers more nutrition than another, offsetting the higher price. The more calorie dense, the less you feed and the less waste produced, so if you're only comparing price per pound that's not the complete picture.

If I want to switch my dogs to a different food, I multiply the number of cups they eat per day by the kcals of that food. Then, I divide that daily calorie total by the number of kcals of the new food. For example, 2 cups a day of a 350 calorie food = 700 calories a day. If the new food is 450 kcals per cup, I divide 700 x 450 and get 1.56. So, just over 1-1/2 cups of the new food is equivalent to 2 cups of the old food. And I'll adjust from there, based on the condition of the dog. I do a rib check frequently and either feed a bit more or a bit less if they feel a little thick or are too skinny.

I switched to grain free foods after the problem about 10 years ago with dogs dying from food tainted with melamine. The problem ingredients were wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate, so I decided that going grain free to completely avoid any grain products would be safest. I already wasn't going to feed a corn based food because they're typically low quality and full of other questionable ingredients. That being said, I don't think grains are evil and many dogs do quite well on foods that include grain. If your dog does fine with grains and you stick with quality brands with good ingredients it shouldn't be an issue.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Juanita M, I've had dogs who previously did well on TotW too! That's why I considered them! Good to know your puppy is doing great on it!

Cassidy's Mom, ooooh, thanks for the example! I was always taught to calculate based on weight alone, I suppose because my parents never really cared about calorie counts haha. This makes sense though. As for grain-free, I'll stick to normal for now just because she isn't doing badly on non-grain-free. That may change as she grows older, never know.
Juanita M likes this.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I've seen people get all caught up in complicated equations to figure out how many calories a day their dog needs and I just don't think that's necessary. The dog's condition is going to tell me that anyway. But knowing calorie counts of various foods is very useful in determining how much to feed, which may or may not correspond to the feeding guide on the bag. That's an okay starting point, but it's going to vary from dog to dog, so I always feed to condition rather than some arbitrary number of cups.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Elite Member

I feed Canidae ALS and have been happy. My dogs are high energy but seem to do well on the basic formula.

I normally pay about $54 for 44 lbs, but with a recent sale bought 20 bags for just $46 a 44 lb bag, stocked up.

So far, I've been happy withe the company and the product and they offer a terrific frequent buyer program.

If I could, I'd buy a higher pro-fat food, but at the moment, this is by far the best quality food I can buy at this price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Cassidy's Mom, I've seen people get caught up in complicated equations for their OWN calorie counts! LOL! I honestly don't care about numbers either... except when it comes to pricing... Must be the asian in me, but I know how expensive random buying can be when stacked up. So far, still no diarrhea from my puppy and her tummy no longer shrinks into her ribs after poops! That's the first thing I noticed after feeding her 5 meals with Fromm! I no longer have to worry about neighbours calling authorities because she looked starved! I am already a very happy mum!

Muskeg, I heard Canidae wasn't a very good brand and like the Blue Buffalo, kept giving puppies diarrhea...

Btw, what would be the appropriate waistline when viewed from above? Does anyone have pictures or something? Her last ribs still stick out a little, though she seems full enough after a meal of 1 cup. I know ribs should be able to be felt, but how should it be seen?
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

Nope, no diarrhea here. In fact, my husky mix had diarrhea on every other food we tried until Canidae.

Been happy with it. But each dog is different. For me the price and quality is right.
Feathers likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page