GSD Food Advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

GSD Food Advice?

Hi, everyone!
My SO and I will be picking up our GSD in about three months and I couldn't be more excited....or nervous. I'm trying to gather as many things as I can before the puppy comes home, and I've hit a snag. I have no idea what to feed our puppy. I know we'll probably need a large breed food, but that's really all I know besides having some brands floating around in my head. I was thinking Merrick because my family has always fed it to their dogs with great results. The problem is that I know they've been bought out buy Purina and even though I've talked to them through email and over the phone, I'm still not sure I want to watch recall reports like a hawk. I was also considering Fromm, Acana, and Canidae. I'd love some advice! Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

Since your puppy will be going through a big adjustment, I suggest you keep him on the same food the breeder is feeding him for the first month he is home with you. This will avoid any possible tummy upsets. Then if you may want to consider switching him. If you do so, do it slowly over a period of 1-3 weeks gradually increasing the amount of the new food. For the brand, I can recommend Solid Gold. Their large breed puppy chow is Wolfcub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I was very happy with Fromm large breed puppy gold. there are some things to look for as a "sticky note" in the feeding your puppy section.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mary Beth, we absolutely plan on keeping him on the breeders food for the first month or so. He'll be experiencing so many changes so I wouldn't want to add a change in food to that list. I should have been more specific, I just need ideas for once we switch him from the Purina. I've heard good things about the Fromm, NancyJ, plus our local pet store usually has a buy one get one sale on it. I've just always heard that Acana/Orijen was the best food out there...but it's a tad pricey.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM

We are about to transition our 14 week girl from Royal canin to Acana, vet doesn't agree yet they have bags of Royal Canin to the ceiling on the way out! I can read ingredients, pretty sure its a healthy move!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 PM
Master Member

I know a golden retriever puppy that is on Fromm. The owners are very happy with it, and the puppy is very healthy. I would say to go with Fromm! It's not as expensive as some of the others, and it's still a REALLY good option.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:30 PM

Definitely transition the puppy slowly no matter what you go with. You can begin the transition on day one, just start very slow and with very small amounts of the new food. Even if it's on horrible food when you get it. That said, Minka eats Fromm large breed. It's high quality, well sourced and a small company. It can be pricey depending where you get it, but we get it through Chewy and it's perfectly reasonable. (40 something bucks for a 33lb bag - which right now lasts her about a month and a half.). She likes the taste, she's a great weight, her coat is stunning and her energy levels are perfect. There's far worse food that costs far more, and equal (or maybe even better?) food that costs the same or more. Definitely research like you're doing though. Read ingredients.

A huge price tag doesn't necessarily mean something is good but a low price tag more often than not means it's bad. Also avoid vet recommendations on word alone. Some vets know a lot about nutrition. Others not so much and they have a vested interest in you just taking their recommendation on face value. If they've got Royal Canin stacked to the ceiling chances are they're not too wise on nutrition.

Torden

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackman View Post
We are about to transition our 14 week girl from Royal canin to Acana, vet doesn't agree yet they have bags of Royal Canin to the ceiling on the way out! I can read ingredients, pretty sure its a healthy move!
Adirondackman,
Royal Canin is manufactured by the MARS company.

Glad you are changing! Check out this thread about MARS: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ons-scary.html

Witchy: I'd go with Fromm's now that Merrick is a Purina product.
: http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#heartland-gold-large-breed-puppy Store Locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2

Fromm's is Family Owned, Family Run, & Family Manufactured. Most pet food companies are not.
*Fromm Family Foods is a fifth-generation family-owned and operated artisan pet food company.
*Produced with a commitment to quality and consistency at Fromm's hands-on facility in Wisconsin. High-nutrient digestibility and utilization offers complete and balanced nutrition.
*Third-party pathogenic bacteria testing is practiced on all production batches to ensure safety.

Moms
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Knighted Member

I fed Fromm Gold LBP and was happy with it. I've fed Fromm Gold adult (not LB adult, just regular). I've fed Fromm's grain frees. My dog began having issues (bad batch of food?), so I switched to something else as he wouldn't eat it. That's a big thing as my dog likes ALL food for the most part. I've fed Merrick and liked it fine. So sad it was sold. I've used Nature's Variety Instinct and liked it. I tried Dr. Tim's Kinesis. I've also fed Acana as an adult. I wasn't happy with the lentils/peas so eventually switched to feeding raw with some dehydrated base mix from Honest Kitchen.

Yeah, I was a worrier and kept thinking "maybe I need to try this particular 'possibly the best kibble ever' product' ".

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The best is kind of relative. Acana is a good food but I preferred the Fromm and, for an adult, I am having great results and annual blood panels with Victor Hi Pro (a 30/20 food)

Look for the recall history though- make sure the calcium levels are appropriately low and the calcium phosphorus ratio is good (that link to the forum sticky)..low ash is also a sign of good food and sometimes you have to ask for that. Fromm is a leader in good manufacturing practices in the dog food industry from what I understand
Femfa likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page