HELP! Is my puppy malnourished? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation HELP! Is my puppy malnourished?

I've had my German Shepherd Husky mix mix for five weeks now, I got her when she was 9 weeks, she is now 14 weeks. When I first got her, she looked really healthy. I can now see her ribs and her rib cage, nearly all of them now.
I've been feeding her Victor Nutra Pro for active dogs and puppies for the past few weeks, giving her food as much as she can eat within 20 minutes, 4 times a day, which it says in the instructions. This puppy food is supposed to provide more protein than other brands because it doesn't have as much sugar, and replaces it with protein from meat. I've had to now leave the food out all day long because she just doesn't eat enough. She will eat only a bowl (2-3 cups) a day. I don't understand why I can see her entire rib cage and she's way too skinny looking down on her too. What do I do?
(Floppy ears is when I got her) (Pointed ears are now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5317.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	423009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6248.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	423017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6249.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	423025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6250.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	423033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6251.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	423041  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6252.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	423049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6253.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	423057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5855.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	423081  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Has the puppy been to a vet? The vet is the best bet here. Puppies can get or have worms that affect nutrient absorption. A simple dewormer may be in order but let your vet guide you here. Also puppies grow at different rates... some times they seem skinny, sometimes fat, sometimes their ears are big sometimes small. They grow in fits and starts. Again your vet will be the best bet.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

We need to see pictures from the top down.

Maybe she doesn't like the food!

If you like the high meat content, Orijen is a great food, if your pup has a good gut (some dogs get loose stool from it). It just might do the trick, but it's more expensive than what you are feeding.
ORIJEN LARGE BREED PUPPY:

Deboned Chicken, Deboned Turkey, Yellowtail Flounder, Whole Eggs, Whole Atlantic Mackerel, Chicken Liver, Turkey Liver, Chicken Heart, Turkey Heart, Whole Atlantic Herring, Dehydrated Chicken, Dehydrated Turkey, Dehydrated Mackerel, Dehydrated Chicken Liver, Dehydrated Turkey Liver, Whole Green Peas, Whole Navy Beans, Red Lentils, Chicken Necks, Chicken Kidney, Pinto Beans, Chickpeas, Green Lentils, Alfalfa, Natural Chicken Flavor, Lentil Fiber, Herring Oil, Ground Chicken Bone, Chicken Cartilage, Chicken Fat, Turkey Cartilage, Dried Kelp, Freeze-Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze-Dried Turkey Liver, Whole Pumpkin, Whole Butternut Squash, Kale, Spinach, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Turnip Greens, Whole Carrots, Apples, Pears, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Chicory Root, Turmeric, Sarsaparilla Root, Althea Root, Rosehips, Juniper Berries, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.
Find a store: http://www.orijen.ca/where-to-buy/

If you do decide to change, always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his/her gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 09:22 PM

I don't think your girl is malnourished.
My second GSD was a female and she was on the small side until about six months when she started growing like a weed.

Have you had her to the vet for a fecal test to see if there are any parasites or worms?
Pups do have worms a lot of the time. A test might reveal she has a mild case of worms. That will put a dent in a pups appetite, especially hook worms.
Fecal test is a cheap and fast way to see what is going on with a puppy's digestive system.

She is super cute and she does look healthy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in