4Likes
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 1 Post By sebrench
  • 1 Post By cdwoodcox
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Fromm Heartland Gold Grain-Free LBP food

Our second gsd (but first long coat) pup is coming to live with us this weekend. With my Freud, I had him on Orijen LBP kibble. But, now with two dogs, I won't be able to afford the same puppy kibble. I was reading up on Fromm's grain free LBP kibble and wanted to know what y'all thought of it and if I should buy it. Or, are there any better recommendations for my new pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

Hello and WELCOME!

I'm a raw feeder but if I fed kibble I would most likely feed Fromm's because of the info below. Most other dog food companies trust a manufacturer to make their food without any "hands on" control.

FROMMíS: http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#heartland-gold-large-breed-puppy Store Locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2

*This is Family Owned, Family Run, & Family Manufactured.

*Fromm Family Foods is a fifth-generation family-owned and operated artisan pet food company.
*Produced with a commitment to quality and consistency at Fromm's hands-on facility in Wisconsin. High-nutrient digestibility and utilization offers complete and balanced nutrition.
*Third-party pathogenic bacteria testing is practiced on all production batches to ensure safety.

Moms
Freud_MitziGSD likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Elite Member

We use Fromm's grain free and haven't had any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Knighted Member

I fed all of my dogs Fromm heartland gold lbp. Until six months of age then I put them on fromm large breed adult. All of my dogs done excellent on them. Excellent food.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Hello and WELCOME!

I'm a raw feeder but if I fed kibble I would most likely feed Fromm's because of the info below. Most other dog food companies trust a manufacturer to make their food without any "hands on" control.

FROMMíS: http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#heartland-gold-large-breed-puppy Store Locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2

*This is Family Owned, Family Run, & Family Manufactured.

*Fromm Family Foods is a fifth-generation family-owned and operated artisan pet food company.
*Produced with a commitment to quality and consistency at Fromm's hands-on facility in Wisconsin. High-nutrient digestibility and utilization offers complete and balanced nutrition.
*Third-party pathogenic bacteria testing is practiced on all production batches to ensure safety.

Moms
I have been feeding Fromm's Gold. However, several times when we were visiting with some friends Hakki snuck into the other dog's food which is "4 health" and gobbled it up. He eats the Fromm's but not with such delight and he usually picks at his food unless he is really hungry.

What is your take on 4 Health?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajancie View Post
I have been feeding Fromm's Gold. However, several times when we were visiting with some friends Hakki snuck into the other dog's food which is "4 health" and gobbled it up. He eats the Fromm's but not with such delight and he usually picks at his food unless he is really hungry.

What is your take on 4 Health?
If it is still made by the Diamond Company, it would not be my choice.

"Fish Meal" is not identified.

Moms
kr16 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
If it is still made by the Diamond Company, it would not be my choice.

"Fish Meal" is not identified.

Moms
Thanks Moms - I knew you would have the answer.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, this definitely makes me feel a lot better
Thank you all for the replies. I'm anxious for Saturday to get here so I can drive 5 hours to pick up my Mitzi

I wish we could do raw. The information is so overwhelming, or so I feel it is for me at least, that when I've thought about it I get a little intimidated. I do definitely give Freud some raw treats like rib bones. He LOVES that. I think it's too expensive now with two dogs, though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajancie View Post
Thanks Moms - I knew you would have the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud_MitziGSD View Post
Well, this definitely makes me feel a lot better
Thank you all for the replies. I'm anxious for Saturday to get here so I can drive 5 hours to pick up my Mitzi

I wish we could do raw. The information is so overwhelming, or so I feel it is for me at least, that when I've thought about it I get a little intimidated. I do definitely give Freud some raw treats like rib bones. He LOVES that. I think it's too expensive now with two dogs, though.

You could feed one raw meal per week which would benefit them greatly!

Below is a list of "Complete & Balanced" Raw Diets that takes the guess work out of putting it together yourself!

Bravo: Discover Balance Raw Diet | Beef Frozen Raw Dog Food Diet - Bravo Pet Food Find a store: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food NOTE Feeding Guide Tab on the page.

Northwest Naturals: Beef - Northwest Naturals Find a store: Store LocatorFeeding Calculator:Feeding Calculator - Northwest Naturals

Primal: Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Canine Beef Formula Find a store: Primal Pet Foods: Store LocatorPronto is smaller pieces: Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Canine Beef Pronto Formula¬*NOTE: After filling in the questions, use the reference for POUNDS or CUPS (this is Raw Food) in the feeding calculator: Feeding, Transition and Safety for Raw Dog Food Diets

Stella & Chewys: https://www.stellaandchewys.com/prod...rozen-patties/NOTE Feeding Calculator on right side of page. This food is HPP
(High Pressure Pasteurization inactivates pathogens and harmful bacteria)

You may find other commercially prepared brands in your area, but the description MUST SAY: meets the AAFCO standard for complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

You can also add a little raw to their diet by giving turkey or chicken necks and backs as a treat a couple of times per week!

Note that when your pup comes home, she should be kept on what ever food the breeder was feeding her for a few weeks. If you do an immediate change, she can get gut upset and diarrhea. After she is settled for a time, you can slowly begin to add a little of the Fromm's to the food she is eating.

Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until her gut gets use to it. Then increase slightly again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Don't forget that little Mitzi is going to be swept up by "STRANGER'S"....You!
And taken into a situation she has never dealt with in her few weeks of life.....being taken from the family she knows, going on a long car ride, new voices, new area, new sounds, new house, new yard, new dog, and even more strangers!

It would be like you being dropped off in the middle of a foreign speaking country all by yourself when you were a child!

There is a technique called "The 2 Week Shut Down" theory. It is controversial with some, but, I think you will get some good pointer's from the articles below.

Quote:
"Things NOT to do:

Here is an example

"I introduced her to 15 people"
" he was a bit leery but seems to like my other 3 dogs"
"she went everywhere with me "
All in the first few days of the new home..... (!!!)

Two weeks later we read
“I think we will have to re-home the new dog" Unquote

Decompression ? The Two Week Shutdown | Looking Glass Animal Rescue

The Two-Week Shut Down | Pibbles & More Animal Rescue

Although this was an older dog in this thread, folks had great ideas for this OP: Rescuing my first Dog this weekend!

Also good reading: "Rethinking Popular Early Socialization": rethinking "popular" early socialization

We can't wait to see pictures of her!

Best of luck!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 05-10-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 PM

We adopted a shepherd in december. I started feeding him Iam's large breed puppy at the time, and just stuck with it to give him the calories he needed to grow. He's approaching 1 year now.

We have another dog, a pure lab, who has a very sensitive stomach. The only thing he can eat and be healthy on that we've found is the 4health brand, a very natural brand exclusively from Tractor Supply Company, a farming chain. However I noticed recently that our TSC is now offering grain-free versions of all of their foods. Could anyone provide insight to the benefits of grain-free food? Of course I only want the best for my boys, so I'm willing to pay more for it.

I tend to supplement their feedings with some brown rice and boiled chicken for dinner, by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page