recipies ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 1 Post By thegooseman90

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

recipies ?

So vlad is 10 weeks old now. he is a show breed not a labor breed, and he weighs 10kg! good/bad ?
Anyone got simple easy to make homemade recipies i can give him on a daily basis (+amounts) that would provide enough nutrition ? thanks

Last edited by Vlad1; 05-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Love the name. That is 2.2 lbs/kg? So, about 22 lbs? Sounds good for 2.5 months.

So I have a question about your request.

Are you planning on feeding 100% raw, or 100% home-made food, or are you planning on using some commercial dog food, and are planning on supplementing.

Some here do the raw diet 100% and some do cook for their dogs. Some of us supplement dog food with foods either raw or cooked. For instance, I will give raw chicken to the dog occasionally, and I will give cooked eggs, yogurt, cheese, and a variety of left-overs.

I think it is hard to overdo animal-based fresh food, like cheese, eggs, plain yogurt, meat. But, of course, you can throw a balanced diet out of balance. So when I give a raw chicken leg, I skip a meal, and I generally only do that one a week or every other week. If I have a skinny dog, I will add an egg or two to their daily intake -- animal protein. Right now I have an old spayed bitch who can't lose an ounce, so she is over-weight. I am cutting her kibble with carrots.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I m not a fan of raw food cooked meat is more hygenic i think..
I do give him dog food soaked in water but i don't want him eating just that. He doesn't like it anyway (eats only a bit and walks away) so i add some cooked chicken if available or eggs and cheese. i guess i'm looking for something homemade to add to the little bit of kibble he eats which contains (28%protein 14%fat + ca + Phos+bunch of vitamins and minerals)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Vlad1!

You have to be very careful to feed a "Balanced" diet daily, especially for a pup. Adding small amounts of items to kibble should not upset the balance.

Putting recipes together with things like cooked meat, rice and vegetables takes A LOT of research
to do this right AND you MUST add adequate supplements.
Or you could pay for something like Balance IT or Monica Segal or The Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer or Whole Dog Journal (https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...n_20568-1.html) BUT make sure it is for a puppy.

You may like a pdf that you purchase off of amazon for $2.99 which was created by Steve Brown the author of Unlocking The Canine Ancestral Diet. This particular book is kind of a tough read, imho, BUT this guy knows his stuff! (also wrote See Spot Live Longer, original creator of Darwin's)

The pdf is called: The ABC Way (for $2.99) is a concept of taking 1 day per week and feeding whole foods, such as hearts, sardines, eggs, and vegetables. He gives you the formula of how to use it.
https://www.amazon.com/See-Spot-Live...by+steve+brown

IF your pup/dog has gut issues, this may not be an appropriate alternative.

Not sure if you are in the US or not (10kg ), but here are 2 more thoughts to add to Selzer's suggestions.

Other foods to use if available to you:

The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food(not kibble): LOVE (appropriate for puppies as is Embark): https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/love Store Locator: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen A 10# box RE-hydrates to about 35 pounds of food, but you feed more than kibble because it is real food.
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food is 100% Human Food and is the ONLY pet food in the USA that the FDA legally allows to use the words “Human Food” on their advertising and packaging. (The Honest Kitchen blends their foods in a human facility (certified/inspected) that also makes bakery mixes and breakfast cereals. For this reason, they need to abide by the same strict standards for record-keeping, safety and cleanliness that all human foods must meet. The company qualifies for the label of human grade dog food according to the FDA regulations, because they meet all the required standards.)

"Air Dried Food"
ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info) Originates in New Zealand so I believe it is available in other countries. This would be great to feed 1 or 2 days per week!
This is little squares that look/feel like "jerky". I now feed this when traveling instead of taking raw food with me.
ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand.
All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months.

Example:
Beef: A complete, balance diet of ranch raised beef meat and organs, this protein rich meal features delicious red meat and nutrient dense organs. It also includes New Zealand green-lipped mussels, a natural source of chondroitin for joint support, and herbs, vitamins and minerals, making it suitable for all breeds and life stages.

Beef ingredients - Beef Meat (min 58%), Liver, Lung, Tripe (min 32%); Green-lipped Mussel (min 3%); Lecithin; Chicory Inulin; Dried Kelp; Parsley. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols; Vitamins: Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride; Chelated Minerals: Iron amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Manganese amino acid complex, Zinc amino acid complex, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium Carbonate

An 11 pound bag will last a 70 pound dog approximately 20 days.

Price is $142.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $128.00 for 11 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food

Hope some if these ideas help!
Moms
selzer likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post

An 11 pound bag will last a 70 pound dog approximately 20 days.

Price is $142.00 but if you get it on the "auto shipped" program the price goes down to $128.00 for 11 pounds at Only Natural Pet: ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food

Hope some if these ideas help!
Moms
Hmmmm, So that would feed 20 dogs for 1 day. Or 15 dogs for one day, with enough to feed 5 dogs the next day. For $128 on auto ship. I can feed 15 dogs on 100 dollars for seven days on Kibble. That's a pretty tough sell. And yet, feeding the dog home-made is going to cost more however you manage it.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:17 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post
So vlad is 10 weeks old now. he is a show breed not a labor breed, and he weighs 10kg! good/bad ?
Anyone got simple easy to make homemade recipies i can give him on a daily basis (+amounts) that would provide enough nutrition ? thanks
This is a tough question to answer without really knowing your dog. My first question is why do you want to go home made? Bag food is much simpler. Give him a cup or whatever and watch his weight over the week. Is he gaining or losing? And adjust from there to get it where you want it. At 10 weeks he's doing a lot of growing still and right now isn't the time to play Martha stewart. And imbalanced home made diet can slow or stunt your pups growth. At least with kibble there's no guessing. Once your dog has grown up then you can experiment with home made or raw feedings and be more on the safe side.

When you get to that point you're better off feeding raw. Remember it's a dog and his digestive system isn't as sensitive as ours. But cooked bones can cause big problems because they get hard and brittle. If this is your first time counting macros and calories in general it's going to take some getting used to. Get a good food scale and learn to count everything. I prefer higher fat and protein over a bunch of carbs because I feel it's more natural but you'll want to add some vegetables for fiber and supplement as well just to be sure your pup is getting all the right nutrients.

Check his body composition every week or 2 and adjust accordingly. You don't want him losing too much weight or getting too fat. His poop will tell you a lot about his diet too and you may need to adjust according to that as well. For instance if he's constipate or has diarrhea you'll need to adjust his diet.
selzer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page