Is this Food Good for my puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Is this Food Good for my puppy

Hello please i need your opinion regarding this dry food to my 5month old solid black GSD. Its name is NutraGold Holistic made by Diamonds company
The Ingredients are for the Large Breed Puppy Formula:

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, barley, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oat flakes, millet, potatoes (3%), egg derivatives, tomato pomace, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, linseed, ocean fish meal, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots (0.1%), peas (0.1%), apples (0.1%), tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamins and minerals.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 26%
Crude Oils and Fats 14.0%
Crude Ash 6.5%
Crude Fibres 3.5%
Moisture 10.0%
Calcium 1.2%
Phosphorus 1.0%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Crowned Member

I do not trust the Diamond Company after their huge recall a few years ago.

I think you are in the UK?
If so you could try Symply Dog Food.

Why choose Symply
"Symply recipes contain only the finest natural ingredients for the balanced and complete diet he needs to stay in top condition. All Symply products are free of artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives. Formulated with wholesome ingredients and natural antioxidants rich in vitamins to enhance the immune system." "The high meat content provides the protein your dog needs for a healthy body and strong muscles.
The Symply dog range contains over 26% real dried meat. By using "dried" meat our range has more meat content than the equivalent "fresh" meat. "Fresh" simply means that it’s weighed in its wet form but this water is lost during processing and so there is a lot less meat in the final product."

I believe you can get Orijen there (which is a high quality food), but note that it can give some dogs loose stool.

If you change your pups food,
always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms
april3 likes this.

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 04-23-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

I think this might be one of Diamond's foods formulated for the international market. What country are you in?

There are a lot of foods sold internationally that are far worse. This looks pretty similar to the Kirkland Signature puppy food, sold at Costco in the United States, also made by Diamond. I've used a lot of that stuff in rescue for pups and nursing moms, and they've all done very well on it. We choose it because of the price point -- there are far better foods out there, but not at that price point. I consider it a mid-tier food that's a very good value for the cost -- a compromise.

One interesting "selling point" for Nutra Gold is that they claim to use deboned meat, not meat meals. That sometimes causes people to hand-wring about the protein and water-content of the meat being over-counted. HOWEVER, I think that thinking ignores the role meat meals have played in contamination and recalls -- so maybe this food is actually a little safer. Maybe.

Diamond produces LOTS of brands of food. Given Diamond's recall history, you must save date codes on their bags until done with it, in case any dogs get sick. However, the way things are going, I think you probably ought to be doing that with any brand.

I'm slowly re-evaluating my view on Diamond being any "worse" than other big manufacturers based on their recall history, because even very expensive brands recently have had unforgivable processing mishaps leading to serious recalls -- Evanger's, Blue, and Wellness all had them recently, and I wasn't impress with Evanger's response or the fact that Blue and Wellness only acted when dogs got sick due to thyroid hormone in the food, and third-party labs proved the cause. I'm not sure Diamond's really any worse then these other guys.

Diamond hasn't had a serious recall in the news for a while -- that could be luck, or they could have improved their processes. I don't know. Many other brands have had much more recent problems. The problems seem rampant in the entire industry, frankly. So....unless you are going to pay more for an independent brand that owns its own plant and has a rock-solid reputation for quality control over the ingredient chain...this is probably a decent food for the money.
april3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Not really. My puppy came to me on Diamond and I go him off it as soon as I found a better option. Look at Fromm.
april3 likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Master Member

You can't tell by looking at the ingredients list, more often than not, it is simply used as a marketing tactic to get you to purchase the food. It has actually been a verify effective tactic, because now that is how people are incorrectly judging food quality. The only way to know is to feed it and see what kind of results you get. Does your dog find it palatable or do you need to doctor the food, does he have good stool quality, clear eyes nice coat, good energy, etc. If so then it probably is a good food for your dog.
ausdland and april3 like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies . Actually my puppy came to me on Royal Canin Maxi-Junior which he is doing really well on it , very good stool, coat is good, but im afraid on the long run the ingredients in this food is harmful to him.below are the ingredients of RC maxi junior
Ingredients:dehydrated poultry protein, maize flour,rice,vegetable protein isolate,animal fats,maize,wheat flour,hydrolysed animal protein,beet pulp,maize gluten,vegetable fibres,minerals,soya oil,fish oil,fructo-oligo-saccharides,psyllium husks and seeds,hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides),marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysedcrutaceans (source of glucosamine) hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitini)

protein:30%
fat: 16%
fibres:2.4%
ash: 7.2%
calcium: 1.2%
phosphorus:0.9%
i know this food is not a good one, but im afraid if i change i will get loose stool and diarrhea thats the only thing making me think twice.
I also have the option to feed him Taste of the wild.
Thank you
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 AM

April

Quote:
Originally Posted by april3 View Post
Thank you for the replies . Actually my puppy came to me on Royal Canin Maxi-Junior which he is doing really well on it , very good stool, coat is good, but im afraid on the long run the ingredients in this food is harmful to him.below are the ingredients of RC maxi junior
Ingredients:dehydrated poultry protein, maize flour,rice,vegetable protein isolate,animal fats,maize,wheat flour,hydrolysed animal protein,beet pulp,maize gluten,vegetable fibres,minerals,soya oil,fish oil,fructo-oligo-saccharides,psyllium husks and seeds,hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides),marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysedcrutaceans (source of glucosamine) hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitini)

i know this food is not a good one, but im afraid if i change i will get loose stool and diarrhea thats the only thing making me think twice.
Thank you
If your dog is doing good on the food than i think it is a good food for your dog. A lot of people have a lot of opinions. If your dog is healthy no reason to change. I have personally been sampling various foods and unfortunately got tied up in all the hype of figuring out what is the best food. Each dog is differtent and what is good for one may not be for the next. I would not change personally if your dog is doing well on it.
ausdland, Solamar and april3 like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Master Member

Royal Canin has done a ton of scientific research into GSD nutrition. Stick with the science and results not with the marketing and the hype.
april3 likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by april3 View Post

Thank you
My breeder feeds this kibble, so do a couple other well known gsd breeders. I fed this kibble until my pup was 7-8 months old, she did fine on it. If your pup does well on it, I'd feed it until it's 6-7 months old then transition to an als or adult food.
april3 likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:51 AM
Crowned Member

Of the 3 aforementioned foods, I'd choose Taste of the Wild - ive had 4 dogs that did well on this food for years. The youngest being 7 months to my 13yr old senior.
misfits and april3 like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page