German Shepherds Forum banner

When to get off Puppy food

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  middleofnowhere 
#1 ·
My Hercules (7 months old 89 pounds) is eating Orijen Large Breed Puppy food. He likes to eat and that is not a problem. When is a good time to transition him to Adult food?

Also, he has been itching a lot and his stools are not completely solid. I have been reading up on RAW diets but fear that it my be too costly or that I don't give him the correct portions or balanced diet. I"m also kinda nervous about it all but I"m still educating myself on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen different recommendations, which you get anywhere. Just some generalities I use, 1st you want them at the 'proper' weight while eating quality food. I'd rather see a little lean than to heavy as they grow. I've seen where at least one breeder wanted a more 'bland' food early on. The idea being to keep growth slow. Then I've seen others that are more conventional, like with a large breed puppy type food for 8 months or so, then transition towards quality adult food.

I sorta 'split the baby', with a mix of quality puppy and adult food early on, then transition to quality adult. You can see and adjust by observing, testing, and even 'stool observation' on what works.

#3 ·
Lots of people never do puppy food so now shouldn't be a problem to go to adult, If I remember correctly the puppy food is chicken so maybe go with regional red or the six fish and add some krill oil to his diet. The loose stools could be from over feeding as he does look over weight in the pictures you have in your gallery. Good luck!

#5 ·
Just a caution on "quality" food & firm stools --- That's not always the result - with my two in Arkansas I had access to all sorts of well-recommended high quality food. What it produced was loose stools.... Went to a different feed (slightly lower quality but still on WDJ's list) and got "better results".

And yes, I would quit feeding puppy food now. I have better luck with never feeding puppy food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.