Puppy Treats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Treats

(8 week old puppy) I've searched my local super market for dog treats that are soft and small but I've only found medium sized treats that are quite hard. What should I do? I've heard about cooking chicken and cutting it up into pieces? And how should I cook the chicken? I'm a first time dog owner and want to do everything right

Here's a photo of the dog treats I've bought. In this photo they make look soft but they hard very tough to break up.

Puppy Treats-imageuploadedbypg-free1384202313.891134.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

My problem is that I live in Chile and there aren't many products like in the US. Now, I've found some soft treats but the bag says it's for adults and not puppies. Should I go along and buy the generic soft treats or go ahead and cook my own? Thanks for the help

Edit: I've also read that people use their food as treats? If I feed him three times a day, could I use his food as treats?

Last edited by Logan Tyler; 11-11-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Elite Member

Are the treats for obedience training or just a treat?

For training with a puppy I used cooked chicken thigh or breast, cut into very small pieces, also used dried liver (bought from supermarket) broken into very very very tiny pieces.

For a treat any other time, again I used dried liver pieces and also bought pigs ears (smoked?) and cut in half for them to chew on (took them ages and really tired them out)

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

It'll be for training and perhaps sometimes a treat.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Master Member

Oops, sorry didn't see you were in Chile.

I'd do cooked chicken breast in that case then. My puppy will do anything for any kind of food so I often use her kibble when obedience training her as well.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Tyler View Post
Edit: I've also read that people use their food as treats? If I feed him three times a day, could I use his food as treats?

I use their own food as training treats all the time. If I am teaching something new, I'll use something of higher value. Once they are solid on it, I'll use their kibble for training.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Crowned Member

Here is an easy recipe for high value, soft treats:
STEAK TREATS

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Large Round Steak (or Pork Chops)

Scissors

1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has a bone in it, remove that too.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the steak into manageable squares or rectangles.
3. Choose a fry pan (non stick works the easiest) that will hold the amount of steak you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the steak pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink. Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. On the day you are going to training, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will be unthawed by the time you are ready for class that evening. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will unthaw quickly in your pocket.

You can also do the same with calf’s liver. After it is unfrozen, soak up the excess blood with paper towel, and proceed starting with #3 as above (you won’t have to cut this first). Only braise the liver long enough on both sides (don’t thoroughly cook it) as it only needs to be cooked to a “medium” range, otherwise it will get crumbly. Drain the liquid during cooking if needed.
The process takes a little time but saves a lot of $$ and the dogs go crazy for them!
BONE’ APPETIT” MY FURRY FRIENDS!
Moms
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Banned

make sure the treats you buy don't come from China.
you can always make treats.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
make sure the treats you buy don't come from China.
you can always make treats.
Good point!
Just because it says "MADE in the USA" does not mean the INGREDIENTS are necessarily SOURCED from the USA! They could be from anywhere! You need to look up the site and search it or call the company and ask...."WHERE are ALL your ingredients sourced from?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page