New to Fromm - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

New to Fromm

I am currently transitioning Varik (turned 7 months old on 11/3) to Fromm Gold LBP from Blue Buffalo LBP. My concern is this: he eats around 6 cups of the BB a day (I know .. it's insane) with total calories of 2700. BB is 450 cal/cup. His new food is 61 calories less at 389 cal/cup. Do you think I'll have to feed even MORE than 6 cups once he completely transitions to Fromm?

That just sounds insane to me. Even with being on reduced activity for the past umm .. 6 or 7 weeks, he still is quite lean, pronounced waist ..some ribs showing. Normal BM, formed, not loose. I think he burns more calories just breathing than some dogs do all day.

I'm just whimpering a little at the thought of all that food! I set him up on autoship with Chewy so the price isn't bad .. but still!!!

Anyone else had to feed that much? Or do you think he'll find it more digestible/use more of it so won't necessarily need to eat more? BB is a good food (theoretically) as well so I wouldn't think it had THAT much just .. junk to pass on through.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Not sure about he amount of food but I did not think chewy gave you a discount except on the first auto ship.

Sorry don't mean to sidet track and hopefully someone else can chime in on the amount of food. I also feed fromm LBP, just transitioned from TOTW and I feed about 3 1/2 - 4 cups a day but my guy is only 13 weeks. They have a Feeding guide on the website if that helps?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

Delgado was always rangy as a puppy and hard to keep weight on, but I found anything over 4.5 cups just gave him the runs. 4 cups a day was a good compromise where he was a decent weight but his stools were firm. When I saw a little too much rib I'd add in 1/4 cup into each meal to bump him to 4.5 for a few days and he leveled out again.

Try him with 4-5 cups and see how it goes

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I think he looks good .. he's lean, but glossy black coat and plenty of energy. I hear often from my mom and husband that he looks a little skinny. Obviously he's practically levitating since he's been on reduced activity for quite some time. I evaluate my dogs all the time .. look a little lean that day? Add 1/4 cup to each meal (still feeding 3x a day). Too .. padded? Cut back 1/4 cup. According to the website, he should get 5 - 5 1/2 cups a day of Fromm. We'll see I guess if that keeps his wt on.

As to the autoship .. yeah it's on the first bag, but it's still lil cheaper than BB and you get more per bag .. AND it's delivered to my door!

Even I think he's a little lean sometimes .. when he comes out of his crate and does his stretch I can feel all his ribs. Oh well, guess it gives me something to fret over.

Last edited by Galathiel; 11-07-2013 at 02:58 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 PM

My puppy is 7.5 months and never has ate over 4 cups a day (well sometimes a little more if she finds leftover food in one of my other dogs bowls). She gets diarrhea if she eats too much though. She eats the Fromms grain free Surf and Turf and gets 2 cups twice a day. Was the BB she was eating grain free? You might just want to skip the LBP feed and go to the Fromms four star grain free kibbles if so. The calcium level is appropriate for large breed puppies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

5 dogs (2 GSD & 3 pugs), 1 cat, 2 parrots and a horse
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

He hasn't been on grain free. I hadn't planned to switch him to that until he was a bit older. I'll look into it though and do a bit more research.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Russell, who is 8 months old and big, eats 6 cups of Fromms LB right now. He is lean. The average public would think he was skinny. He'd eat more if I let him.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

My boy ate about 6-8 cups of Fromm LBP when he was younger. Now he's down to 4 cups a day. My boy has a very fast metabolism so he stayed very skinny. He's still pretty skinny. Just feed him and if you notice him fattening up, feed less.

Also...depending on his stomach, you can make the switch quicker. It doesn't always have to be a 2 week period. With my boy, we could switch out within like 3 days without seeing any kind of issues.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

He has been having no problems but since he had issues early on with a cheaper grade food I'm very slow to transition .. as in I bought a new 17 lb of his current food and am going to transition slowly until the whole bag is gone. I figure it won't hurt and I have the food anyways. Yeah I think Varik's metabolism must be up there... I'm resigned to him eating twice the calories as I do until he's grown .. and then we'll see

Thanks for letting me know how much yours ate. At least I don't have to think he's a freak!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page