Still Skinny Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Still Skinny Puppy

A few months ago I got some great help on here with my boy. But I'm back again sadly. Kain is coming on 7 months now. He is still incredibly thin. His ribs stick out so bad it looks like I starve him. He has still grown in height though. I was feeding him Wellness LBP, but switched to Canidae LBP as the Wellness started to give him mooshy poops. He has been cleared by my vet for internal parasites. His skin and coat is healthy. He is very high energy and appears happy. I feed him 3x a day and give him as much food as he will eat as instructed by my vet. He is eating around 6-8 cups of food a day. We go through a 15 lb bag of food every 10-14 days. I'm at a loss. Everyone thinks I'm starving my dog. I called his breeder and she said his mother was the same way until around a year old. Can anyone offer suggestions to help him put on pounds? Nutri Cal? Wet food? I'll try anything.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kelly & Kain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Elite Member

Please consider having him tested for EPI, it is a simple blood test and if positive is easy to treat and manage. If negative, you might like to talk to your vet about why he is not putting on weight, seen as he is eating quite a bit, it may be allergies, but talk to your vet about EPI to rule it out

Here is a link on EPI Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

EPI means your dogs pancreas doesn't work, so he can't digest his food, he will eat like a horse and poo like a cow. He will eat and eat and eat and strave to death all at the same time - it is horrible but is easy to manage with 'Creon'.

He may also have SIBO (this usually goes hand in hand with EPI dogs), again this is easy to treat with 'Tylan (Tylosin)'.

I am currently managing my 2 1/2 GSD male who is EPI positive.

Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
Please consider having him tested for EPI, it is a simple blood test and if positive is easy to treat and manage. If negative, you might like to talk to your vet about why he is not putting on weight, seen as he is eating quite a bit, it may be allergies, but talk to your vet about EPI to rule it out

Here is a link on EPI Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

EPI means your dogs pancreas doesn't work, so he can't digest his food, he will eat like a horse and poo like a cow. He will eat and eat and eat and strave to death all at the same time - it is horrible but is easy to manage with 'Creon'.

He may also have SIBO (this usually goes hand in hand with EPI dogs), again this is easy to treat with 'Tylan (Tylosin)'.

I am currently managing my 2 1/2 GSD male who is EPI positive.

Good luck.

Yes, test him for EPI.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for this reply. I will have him checked ASAP. He does have some of these symptoms, including the voracious appetite, the constant pooping, and the poop eating. His poop isn't runny or watery like this site and he doesn't quite look emaciated like these poor dogs. But to me it's pretty similar. Is this condition genetic?

Kelly & Kain
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM

I have a 3 month old male and he has been to the vet and stool tested, he's perfectly healthy. Just within the last 3 days he has had runny stool. He's still acting normal, eating and drinking fine and he's not excessively going, but this has me worried. The only thing new I have given him was a chew bone. Could this be the problem? I am a new puppy owner and I tend to worry a lot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 AM

Cora, I have a three month old too and when I give her a new type of treat/bone, she'll have an upset tummy too. It always resolves after a couple of poops though. Has your pup been dewormed? Mine had been with panacur before I got her but still had some pretty good deworming results with strongid after I got her.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM

He has been dewormed and has his last parvo this month. Its still going on and actually has pooped every where in his crate twice today. I have called the vet and I am taking him first thing in the morning. I am just so upset because he my child and I hope its nothing serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page