Should I switch to a higher calorie food, and feed less? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Should I switch to a higher calorie food, and feed less?

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have a fifteen week old GSD/Labrador puppy that we have had for about five weeks now. We transitioned her off the breeder food and have had her on Wellness Super5Mix LBP for about a month. Everything seems fine but she still seems a little small and skinny (she was 12 lbs at 13 weeks at the vet so probably 14 lbs or so now), and her poops are pretty massive (lol), although not too soft really. We were feeding her about 1.75 cups/day but the vet said to feed her a bit more since she was pretty skinny, so we bumped it to 2.25 cups/day. It just seems like a lot of food and contributing to these large poops. I do supplement with some wet food about 40% of her feedings while taking some dry out. I'm wondering if it may be a better idea to get a food like Orijen/Acana/Go with more calories/cup and feed a bit less, and perhaps she'll get more calories while lowering her "output".

I have done a ton of research and am very aware of calcium levels in foods for puppies and that we don't want to grow her too fast. Maybe she needs a food with a higher fat content, the Wellness is only 12%. I am wondering however if I should maybe go into a regular puppy food (with lower calc/phos levels) also since I don't think she is going to be much over 45 - 50 lbs.

Anyway, any input is appreciated.

Last edited by Potatohead; 11-05-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Wellness is a good product, but calories per cup for the one you mention (2011 numbers) is 366 calories. Acana LBP is 420 and Orijen is 456, so that's a pretty good difference.

Here's the links to their site. Puppy Large | Orijen

Puppy Large Breed | Acana
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Wellness is a good product, but calories per cup for the one you mention (2011 numbers) is 366 calories. Acana LBP is 420 and Orijen is 456, so that's a pretty good difference.

Here's the links to their site. Puppy Large | Orijen

Puppy Large Breed | Acana

Yeah, that's kind of why I am asking. I'm wondering if I feed Acana, which is about 20% more calories than the Wellness, if I can then feed 10% less and maybe it will reduce the amount of poop from her while also giving more calories.

I guess there's one way to find out, right?

Last edited by Potatohead; 11-06-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Banned

the higher quality food you feed the less they have to eat to get full (less fillers) and the smaller their poop will be (less fillers). you can always tell if people feed their dog high quality or crap dog food by the size of the poop. the more nutritious the food the more the dog absorbs all the nutrients so not much comes out as poop. poop ranges from a few pellets (raw fed) to massive piles (science diet)

of course higher quality also means higher price. if your dog doesnt look sickly then i wouldnt worry. definitely more health benefits for a pup thats a little underweight than a fat pup. also who cares if she seems small. people get too obsessed over weight of pups. your dog will grow to the size according to her genetic make up. i mean my parents could've fed me all day but i'd still never grow up to be 6'5. i'd still be 5'8; just a lot more chubby!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
Yeah, that's kind of why I am asking. I'm wondering if I feed Acana, which is about 20% more calories than the Wellness, if I can then feed 10% less and maybe it will reduce the amount of poop from her while also giving more calories.

I guess there's one way to find out, right?
Feeding higher calorie/quality food should translate into more usable "energy" for the dog and less waste cup for cup. 1 cup of Acana = less vs 1 cup Wellness, so you can reduce waste without reducing the amount fed and add calories your pup needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page