Picky Puppy! Suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Picky Puppy! Suggestions?

Hello everyone! I've got an almost-8-month-old pup, Chip. I've attached a picture, to, because we all like showing off our pups, don't we? But anyway! Ever since I got him, he's seemed to be a picky eater. The breeder (whom I would highly recommend, if anyone is in Virginia, particularly NOVA, and is looking for a puppy!) had him on Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy food, and I kept him on that, but he would barely touch it after the first few weeks. I switched him over to Purina Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy after that, and for a while, he would eat it, but he's slowed down again. I'll come home from class in the evening, and he'll have barely even touched his breakfast.

All that being said, I'm not overly concerned about his health -- he's not too thin, I don't think, and he does get lots of exercise. But I'd rather give him a food he enjoys than have him pick at a food for survival, if that makes any sense.

I think perhaps he doesn't like the chicken flavor, so I'd love to find a non-chicken puppy or all-stages food, since I do plan to keep him on puppy food a while longer. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am willing to buy a high quality food for him, though I am also a college student, so if anyone has any recommendations on food that might be a good compromise between cost and quality, I'd very much appreciate it! Chip is my first German Shepherd (though I've wanted one my whole life!), and my first big dog, so I'm still figuring out this whole thing.

Thank you all for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haybale.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	129225  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 AM
Crowned Member

Here are some high quality choices:
Acana Regional's (Grain Free) for all life stages: ACANA PET FOODS | Acana Find a retailer: Store Locator | Acana

Fromms 4 Star (Grain Free) for all life stages: Four-Star Gourmet Recipes for dogs - Fromm Family Foods Find a retailer: Fromm USA Retailers

Nature's Variety Instinct (Grain Free) for all life stages: Nature's Variety: Instinct Grain-Free Kibble Diets for Dogs | Nature's Variety Find a retailer: Find A Store | Nature's Variety

Be sure to wean him on to a new food very slowly. Once he is established on a particular brand, you can rotate a different flavor variety with each bag as long as he doesn't have any tummy troubles. If he does, you'll want to introduce it slowly too until you are sure he doesn't have a problem with it. Different varieties of meat will keep him interested and healthy as each one has different nutrient qualities.

BTW, his food should only be down for about 15 to 20 minutes and then picked up. Then offered again later in the day depending when you are available. "Free Feeding" can cause all types of problems.

Good Luck!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 10-31-2013 at 05:23 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I've had 2 picky eaters and found these tips were a great help --> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...cky-eater.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page