Fromm LBP food questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Fromm LBP food questions

I am currently feeding our boy TOTW high prairie puppy food. His stools are still pretty soft, they are formed but not firm. Of course he has been through a few wormings (now clean) and is now on antibiotics for a slight case puppy pyroderma (which is helping quite nicely) so I actually wonder if once he is completely off the medicine if his stool might firm up. Then of course right when we are hit to complete the antibiotics he will be due for his third set of puppy vaccines.
I will be getting him some probiotics for regular use but until I can order online and get them here my vet gave me some Prostora to try.

I need to be looking for another food alternative in the same price range as TOTW. I have read a lot about Fromm and the LBP also seems to have less fiber than TOTW puppy which might be to my advantage.

Any Fromm LBP users out there and their experiences with it. I just wish I could get it locally, that is the one negative I see with it.

The soft stools don't seem to bother or slow him at all....LOL. But I would like to get them firm as soon as I can.

The other food I might try that I can get locally is simply nourish. I used it for several years with my dogs with great success before switching to TOTW earlier this year and they carry a LBP formula but the fiber is 5.0% not sure if that is ours issue but thought if i was going to switch that I might try one a little lower.

I also thought of pro plan sensitive stomach but it is an adult formula. Anyone know if that would be ok for pups?

Last edited by Crocky; 10-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Delgado did extremely well on it; he ate it from 3 months to 1 year. I swapped him at 1 to their Four Star Line and rotate through the grain free varieties

The only negative I would say is that it is chicken based (allergy concern) and not grain free but neither were negative enough to stop me from trying him on it.

The positives are he loved the food, his coat and stools were great, and he still has yet to have a sick day in his life. They add Salmon Oil and Probiotics into their formula so the only thing I add is warm water and Tripett and serve.

As for the company itself, it's a fourth generation US family run company that has never had a recall since they opened in 1904, they make the food in the US and use only ingredients from the US. Their customer service cannot be faulted and they offer a buy 12 bags get 1 free program and offer coupons often on their mailing lists

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Shade; 10-24-2013 at 12:08 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Banned

My boy has been on Fromm LBP since day one. He won't eat anything else so he's currently three and still eating the puppy food. We never had stool problems on it. I'm not sure if less fiber is really the answer...when my boy gets a little soft we usually add pumpkin to his food, which is a lot of fiber and it fixes him right up.

But I think it wouldn't hurt to try to switch. It's a great food, made about 20 minutes north of where I live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I tried pumpkin but my vet said it may not be helping with the loose stools as it is also used for constipation. I stopped using it just in case, And I have not seen a difference.

I was thinking more fiber would give loser stools. Kind of like prunes for us etc, but I could be way off on how it relates to dogs.

I might just suck it up and order. I just hate not having a local place here that sells it in the event I need to pick some up quickly. Hence the reason I was looking at the others.

Buy 12 get one free sounds nice too. Pet sense here does that with most their foods. Buy 10 get one free.

Ugh I hate changing dog foods. I never know what to go with.

Merrick has also been on the list. It is much higher protein though than TOTW and not sure how that would effect him.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

Crocky: "Then of course right when we are hit to complete the antibiotics he will be due for his third set of puppy vaccines.
I will be getting him some probiotics for regular use but until I can order online and get them here my vet gave me some Prostora to try."
UGH!
Another stellar product from Proctor & Gamble!
Prostora: Sucrose (SUGAR is the FIRST Ingredient!), Vegetable Oil (WHAT VEGETABLE OIL AND WHY?), Bifidobacterium animalis (Only ONE ProBiotic?), Dried Skim Milk (DAIRY not good for dogs), Dried Reduced Minerals (WHY is it "reduced"?), Whey, Cocoa Butter,
Artificial Colors (WHICH COLORS?
Red #40? From CSPI:"Red 40, the most widely used dye, may accelerate the appearance of immune system tumors in mice.
The dye causes hypersensitivity (allergy like) reactions in a small number of consumersand might trigger hyperactivity in children.
Yellow #6? From CSPI: It may be contaminated with cancer causing chemicals and occasionally causes severe hypersensitivity reactions.
Blue #2? From CSPI: Blue 2 cannot be considered safe given the statistically significant incidence of tumors, particularly brain gliomas, in male rats)
Soy Lecithin (emulsifier), Artificial Vanilla Flavor (ARTIFICIAL again?).

Make sure you always read the ingredients and google what they are if you don't know. Purina uses BY-PRODUCTS! Go with the Fromms or Simply Nourish (Grain Free varieties) if those are your only 2 choices.

Your pups' system is in a weakened state, poor little guy! The vet should NOT be giving any types of vaccinations for some time. And when he is well, the vacs should be singles only (NO combo vacs) and spaced out as researched by Dr. Jean Dodds. This will allow your pups body/immune system to adjust without 5 or 7 viruses attacking him at once. Single shots are usually a special request to regular veterinarians, who, most likely will not like your decision, and say that it doesn't matter! It TRULY does for the health of your dog! Article on what vets WISHED they had known: Vets On Vaccines | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Vaccination Protocol by Dr. Dodds: Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol It's a shame that vets don't keep up on research!

Get some Human "Slippery Elm" and any digestive enzyme with pancreas in it at the health food store to calm his tummy and aide his gut. If you can find one with Ox Bile in it, that would be a plus! Open capsules on to food or crush tablets with 2 spoons. Maybe try smaller feedings.

Sounds like he really needs the digestive enzyme, besides the probiotic to help him assimilate his food better. Here is combination of both: The Wholistic Pet

Hope this helps!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 10-24-2013 at 02:21 PM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

As always thanks! I actually have the digest-all on the list of things to order this week.

Honestly I truly wonder if it is the food though ( I know some foods don't agree with some systems as well as others) as when he came to us he was on puppy chow and his first few poops were just fine. Of course I did what I should not have and that was immediately switch over to TOTW and ever since then he has had soft stools. Not diarrhea but soft. I kick myself in the butt for that. I cannot totally say that is what it is as he also went through a few worming medicines to add to the tummy stress.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocky View Post
As always thanks! I actually have the digest-all on the list of things to order this week.

Honestly I truly wonder if it is the food though ( I know some foods don't agree with some systems as well as others) as when he came to us he was on puppy chow and his first few poops were just fine. Of course I did what I should not have and that was immediately switch over to TOTW and ever since then he has had soft stools. Not diarrhea but soft. I kick myself in the butt for that. I cannot totally say that is what it is as he also went through a few worming medicines to add to the tummy stress.
Great for the above but in the mean time try and get to a health food store and purchase the others and wait to order the Digest All Plus. He needs IMMEDIATE help with this.

Could you afford to put him on equal amounts of: boiled, boneless, skinless, chicken breast (shredded) (OR boiled ground turkey) mixed with canned pumpkin (NO spices) for about a week or so, and then start SLOWLY adding whichever kibble or Honest Kitchen you choose? My holistic vet states that the "chicken/pumpkin diet (above) is better than the hamburger/rice diet.

Thoughts?
Moms
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Yes I can put him on that for sure and will seek out the health food store as well. I am guessing the dosage for pups would be equal to what is on the bottle? Assume that the dosage is the same no matter weight.

I think I may go with the fromm grain free duck and potato about $50 shipped for a 30lb bag, not to bad and in line with my budget, still looking...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

The Duck & Sweet Potato isn't grain free

The 5 grain free recipes they have are:

Pork & Peas
Beef Frittata
Salmon Tunalini
Game Bird
Surf & Turf

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Knighted Member

Shanna, sometimes my brain jumps to conclusions. I thought the first recipe you mentioned was pork & beans (eww).

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page