Rant and a question? (moved to feeding puppy) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Smile Rant and a question? (moved to feeding puppy)

IM SO PROUD OF RIDLEY! She is doing such a great job with her potty training. Today my wife and I had to work all day and we had made plans for a family friend to stop by, let her out and play with her for a couple hours. Well unfortunately, he wasn’t able to stop by, so she was in her crate for a totally of 6 hours. (not happy about that) But she didn’t have any accidents in her crate at all. When my wife got home Ridley ran for the back door but couldn’t hold it. I am so proud that she is just over 10 weeks old and I can see that she is getting the potty training. Cant even try to be upset at her for having an accident at the door, she was really trying hard. Believe me, she will not be in her crate for that long ever again, our work schedules just made the perfect storm today. I just wanted to rant a little about my baby girl. She’s doing great with basic commands and she’s learning “Gentle” when she gets her treats. She’s still a hand full but she is learning so fast.

But I do have a question while I'm here. Someone told me that instead of using pet store treat, that you can use gluten free cereal. Is that ok for puppies/ dogs to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Holding the bladder for 6 hours for a young pup like that is really good!

Delgado's favourite treats were and still are carrots. For training treats I made up a bag mixing his kibble, Wellness Wellbites, and dehydrated liver so he never knew which treat was coming next. It helps keep him on his toes and negates any expectations from him on which treats I should be feeding him lol

I don't like feeding "empty" treats; if I'm feeding something it should have value to it either in nutrition or value in the dog's eyes. I don't see cereal having either of those IMO I don't think it will hurt but it wouldn't be something I would want to feed. Look at the ingredients and make your decision from there

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Holding the bladder for 6 hours for a young pup like that is really good!

Delgado's favourite treats were and still are carrots. For training treats I made up a bag mixing his kibble, Wellness Wellbites, and dehydrated liver so he never knew which treat was coming next. It helps keep him on his toes and negates any expectations from him on which treats I should be feeding him lol

I don't like feeding "empty" treats; if I'm feeding something it should have value to it either in nutrition or value in the dog's eyes. I don't see cereal having either of those IMO I don't think it will hurt but it wouldn't be something I would want to feed. Look at the ingredients and make your decision from there
Thanks! Yeah, when you say it that way, it doesn’t sound like a great idea. haha I saw something on how to make chicken bites that you can cut up into smaller training bites. Sounds pretty easy to make, it’s real chicken, so probably a lot better than cereal and probably most other cheap treats too. haha I think I might give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Knighted Member

It does depend on how picky your pup is. ALL food has value to my puppy. He'll work just as hard for a tiny crumb from a dog biscuit as he would for hot dog. I'm still looking for something that's the penultimate high value treat. Haven't found one yet that surpasses them all. He works for his food, hot dogs, bits of dog biscuit, and (my usual) small cubes of Wellness Wellbites.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page