3 month old German Shepard Mix (feeding Benefil for puppies?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

3 month old German Shepard Mix (feeding Benefil for puppies?)

Dozer is a German Shepard mix who is 3 months old. We rescued him from an adoption company. The foster parents had him on beneful for puppies so we got the smallest bag till we can get him better food. We know its not the best. What brands are good for German shepards? I only want what's good for this sweet lil guy! I have heard good things about natures receipe ? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 10-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:26 PM

I have no experience with puppy food, however, I've had success with Blue Buffalo's "Wilderness" variety of dry food (Salmon flavor specifically). When we first adopted Ozzy he was skinny and his coat had the "homeless" look. I know there are many good brands of foods but I know that my dog did well on this stuff. Perhaps their puppy variety will work out for you too. Just my two cents.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Honestly pretty much anything you are going to buy is going to be better than beneful. I would look for lower calcium foods. This is a pretty good link to read through. Topic: Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer13 View Post
Dozer is a German Shepard mix who is 3 months old. We rescued him from an adoption company. The foster parents had him on beneful for puppies so we got the smallest bag till we can get him better food. We know its not the best. What brands are good for German shepards? I only want what's good for this sweet lil guy! I have heard good things about natures receipe ? Any thoughts or recommendations?

I had really good luck with Natures Recipe. I got the easy to digest chicken rice and barley recipe. It is for dogs of all ages and my 11 Shepherd year old loved it just as much as my puppy. However, the price kept going up and up so I switched to Diamond Beef and Rice which seems to be going ok though I am only on my second bag.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM

My pup ate raw for a solid two months before I switched him over to Royal Canin. He still eats raw every once and a while.

He's been on other brands but so far he's liking the Royal Canin food.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 PM

I would recommend you take a look at www.dogfoodadvisor.com

They review dog foods and use a 5 star rating system for them, and it's a great place to look into what options there are and to look further into the suggestions of others.

We feed our 6 month old Orijen large breed puppy at the moment, and he's done really well on that, though it is one of the pricier kibbles on the market, so there may be a better option for you and your pup.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantald View Post
I would recommend you take a look at Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

They review dog foods and use a 5 star rating system for them, and it's a great place to look into what options there are and to look further into the suggestions of others.

This! Great advice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantald View Post
I would recommend you take a look at www.dogfoodadvisor.com

We feed our 6 month old Orijen large breed puppy at the moment, and he's done really well on that, though it is one of the pricier kibbles on the market, so there may be a better option for you and your pup.

The Dog Food Advisor site is a good place to start. Look for 4 or 5 star foods. There are many to choose from. You should be careful with the amount of calcium in the food. Check out this thread:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...um-levels.html

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Pokey - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone
Zoey - may you catch the UPS man
Auggie -may you find the peace you never had
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM

Beneful is one of the very worst! Please change it.

Check out Orijen and Acana... there are different varieties with various protein contents so you can choose one with a bit lower, if desired. It's better than Beneful, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page