What to feed my puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

What to feed my puppy

My pup is four months old this week and still very underweight. When I adopted him, you could easily see his ribcage. Since he's been growing so fast, it's been hard to get him at a normal weight. I can still see his ribs, but I am feeding him more than enough. I have been giving him a dry puppy food which he eats 6 cups of a day. It is ~26% protein and ~14% fat. I have attached pictures also. Should I be feeding him something else or even more of the same food? Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5830.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	123066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5831.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	123074  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Has he been checked for worms or other physical problems that could cause him not to absorb all the nutrients?

What food are you feeding him? A dog can eat 7-8 cups of a lower quality food while a high quality food will satisfy them with 2-3 cups. It's not just about quantity, it's quality as well

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

He did get checked by the vet and was cleared for everything. I am feeding him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food and this is the same food he was being fed when I got him. Should I be feeding him a different brand?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganborg View Post
He did get checked by the vet and was cleared for everything. I am feeding him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food and this is the same food he was being fed when I got him. Should I be feeding him a different brand?

That's not the best food, but I'm feeding that also. It's what the breeder had him on. I tried to switch him to natural balance and he got very loose poo. I put him back on the eukanuba large breed puppy and they firmed up again. I also feed 6 cups a day. Three feedings....two cups each feeding, but for the first feeding he also gets some natural balance loaf with it. The bag says 6 1/4 cups, but I doubt that 1/4 cup would make much difference...maybe....

We also use the natural balance loaf cut up small for training. So he is getting more than just the dry kibble throughout the day. My puppy is 4 months old and weighs about 41 pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Knighted Member

Many times puppies get to much protein from puppy food. With larger breeds, you need to be careful to not overprotein feed them. If they grow to fast, it can be bad. I was in tears when my vet told me I was doing that to Xerxes as a puppy. I asked," Did I ruin my puppy?" He said," No. You just need to stop over the top overfeeding nutrients." I backed off to adult food, and he recovered fine. So much is tied up in advertisement.They say," oh this is good. Oh, that is good, for your puppies. It sounds like you are good concerned owners. I hope you have a good German Shepherd aware vet as I do.

Last edited by Nikitta; 10-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
Many times puppies get to much protein from puppy food. With larger breeds, you need to be careful to not overprotein feed them. If they grow to fast, it can be bad. I was in tears when my vet told me I was doing that to Xerxes as a puppy. I asked," Did I ruin my puppy?" He said," No. You just need to stop over the top overfeeding nutrients." I backed off to adult food, and he recovered fine. So much is tied up in advertisement.They say," oh this is good. Oh, that is good, for your puppies. It sounds like you are good concerned owners. I hope you have a good German Shepherd aware vet as I do.
Your vet's wrong. It's not protein that you need to watch out for with a large breed puppy - it's calcium - that's what promotes bone growth. Higher protein is fine. Higher calcium is what should be avoided until fully grown.

And to the OP - your puppy looks fine weight-wise. I'd switch to something better than Eukanuba, but I can't see anything wrong with his weight in the pictures you posted.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Knighted Member

Thanks Lucky Dog; I learn new stuff every day. That's why I bow to you better knowledge people here.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
Thanks Lucky Dog; I learn new stuff every day. That's why I bow to you better knowledge people here.
It's strange to say, but most vets don't know much about dog nutrition. They just recommend whatever they sell in their waiting room.

Did your vet recommend something like science diet or purina?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post

And to the OP - your puppy looks fine weight-wise. I'd switch to something better than Eukanuba, but I can't see anything wrong with his weight in the pictures you posted.
I think he looks fine too. My 7.5 month old Russell is thinner than that!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 AM

I feed my puppy who is 4 1\2 months old Purina Pro Plan Puppy is a little expensive but I think is healthy for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page