Should i worry about my puppies weight! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Should i worry about my puppies weight!

Hi everyone!

I got my GS puppy around 2- 2 1/2 weeks ago. When I got him he was one of the smallest of the litter. I been feeding him Taste of the Wild 3 times a day it looks like he is growing but he is only 7 pounds at 10 1/2-11 weeks should I worry that he might have something wrong with him? Shoud i start feeding him puppy food before i got him people were telling me to not feed him puppy food because **** shoot up and not grow correctly. If i should start feeding him puppy food what would be a good kind with good calories and fats?

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

Does your vet think he's healthy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

That is small for a German Shepherd Puppy.

I would not feed Taste of the Wild to a puppy. Adult food is fine, but I wouldn't do a grain-free adult.

Check with the vet, have him wormed. You may have gotten a true-runt, and if so, I strongly suggest you sign up for health insurance.

ETA, Cujo was a true runt of the litter. The rest of the litter was born between 16 and 19 ounces, he was 13 ounces. The rest of the litter gained about 2 ounces per day, while he gained about 1.5 ounces per day. The slope, rise over run was lower for him than the rest of the bunch. Cujo had serious issues in his life that his littermates did not have.

I hope this is not the case for you. The runt of the litter is usually fiesty, and a survivor, and they often catch up before a litter goes home, but a true-runt often has health problems.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 10-12-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

I hope this is not the case for you. The runt of the litter is usually fiesty, and a survivor, and they often catch up before a litter goes home, but a true-runt often has health problems.
on the opposite end of that....Riley was the largest of the litter and had a lot of health problems. I don't know how the rest of the litter fared. He was about 7 pounds at 8 weeks. All the puppies there were very skinny. I think it depends on the genes they get and how do you know that in advance?

I hope the op's puppy is healthy and just small, but I would take it to a vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
That is small for a German Shepherd Puppy.

I would not feed Taste of the Wild to a puppy. Adult food is fine, but I wouldn't do a grain-free adult.

Tagging on to this and I hope it is ok. I feed taste of the wild to my pup but it is the grain free TOTW puppy food. I assume that is fine? Apparently they recently came out with puppy. It is the venison buffalo puppy. Also wanted to mention it so that if it is fine the OP can still use the brand but use the puppy bag.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 AM

My girl was only 7 pds at 8 weeks. She has always stayed on the small side. She us about
1 1/2 and only 57 pds. That's just her- she is active runs and runs everyday. My vet said she is perfect not to worry, I don't like seeing hip bones.
My boy will be 1 tomorrow and he has always been big. He was 18 pds at 8 weeks and continues to be a Big boy, he about 90 pds.
His breeder started him in taste of the wild from day one, so we continued on with it. I never fed the puppy formular. Both pups are on it. Have amazingly Soft coats, great teeth etc. I think you'll be pleased. Your pup will grow, I always feel bad when people look at my two and ask why is she so small. Do they think I don't feed her?
As long as your puppy is healthy - don't worry about anything!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Banned

i've never fed puppy food to my dogs. have you taken your pup
to the Vet?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

Odie is is a small bitch, and maybe some of you remember when I had the litter, and three of the four did not make it, and it took me a week or more to get that little survivor, Cupcake, back up to her birthweight, tube-feeding, the whole time. She was a tiny little thing.

Well at eight weeks, she was 8 pounds. And I was afraid of losing her for the first 3-4 weeks of her life.

This pup is not 7-8 weeks old it is 10 weeks old at 7 pounds -- that is extremely small. And very likely this pup had an awful start like Cupcake, or this pup has something wrong with it that is making it failing to gain weight well.

3 pounds difference is nothing to a 75 pound dog, but it is huge for a 10 week old puppy.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

3 pounds difference is nothing to a 75 pound dog, but it is huge for a 10 week old puppy.
I agree. That is why I would take it to the vet. Riley was about 7 pounds at 8 weeks. I could see all his little bones. The same day I picked him up we went to the vets. I was that concerned. From the initial exam he was deemed healthy, de-wormed and I was told a feeding schedule to keep him on so he could gain weight.

Riley is no longer with us, but I don't think it's due to starting life off skinny. A lot of dogs don't have the best of starts and they thrive once they are in a good and caring environment. Riley had other issues probably due to not the best breeding that he could not overcome. I'm only mentioning this because I in no way want to imply starting off to skinny is detrimental to the dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page