New to GS Forum, Suggestions, ideas, etc. on Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

New to GS Forum, Suggestions, ideas, etc. on Food

Hello! Everyone, I am Raul and new to the forum. I have a 8 1/2 male gs name Bruno. I am hoping that you guys will help answer some of my gs questions. Here is a brief story on Bruno I purchased him four months ago. When I took him home noticed that his stools were soft. The person whom I purchased the dog told me that he had just gotten his deworming vacs. Long story short, Bruno is very active, he is my running, hiking, and walking partner when I exercise. I wait 20-30 minutes before I feed him. Well since day one when I noticed his soft stool I have had a battle on what to feed him, from pedigree, purina, beniful, and Nutro Ultra Large breed puppy. I have switched his food according to the transition guidelines. However, when I clean his area where he poops, I notice stool that ranges from firm, to firm&soft, to soft (cowpie), and diarrhea. When I put a table spoon of pumpkin puree it helps to firm up his stool. The vet always says he is Ok. I am at a total lost on what to do. I have mortify his amount of food I feed him to rule out overfeeding. It doesn't matter if I feed him 6 cups (2 meals a day with 3 cups of food) or 4 cups (2 meals a day with 2 cups of food). So my questions are: what am I overlooking? Is there anything else I can do to help? Is there a specific food that will help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM

My dog had similar issues; I did the de-worming, tried several different kinds of dry and wet food, vet ran test and tests and tests and said he was fine every time, etc. I switched him to raw/B.A.R.F. and have had no problems since. It's been wonderful. May or may not be the solution for Bruno, but it's worth a look in the B.A.R.F. forum in here. Good luck!

Ralphie - GSD, rescue, Gotcha Day 2/10/13
Nightshade - born 6/3/2003 - Domestic medium hair/Maine Coon mix (feline)
James - Domestic short hair (feline), rescue, Gotcha Day 6/23/11
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 PM

I have the same problem I want to switch to raw but I don't have the money or knowlage to do it. But I hear fresh green tripe can help I plan on getting some soon

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Knighted Member

You've had him .. 4 months or so? And have switched him 3-4 times. That's a lot. You may not be giving his body time to get used to the new food before starting him all over on another transition. However, I know that when I had my pup on a lower end food (Chicken Soup) he always had soft stools. I've since switched him to a different food and he's doing well (Blue Buffalo LBP). It may be that 2-3 cups at a time is too much food for him to digest. Maybe add another feeding in there so that each one is smaller to see if that helps? I'm still feeding my pup 3 times a day at 6 months old. You might also wait a bit longer after exercise to feed him.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Honestly, the foods you listed that you fed him, aren't that great I hated Nutro Ultra my dogs would poop orange..

My adult dogs (and by the time they are 8.5 months) are getting 2 cups twice a day.
I hate to say it, but I'd try a different food and give it a good two months.

There are sooooo many foods to choose from, what works for one may not for another.

I think exercise can bring on soft poops as well..I keep mine toned down an hour before I feed and a good hour after (sometimes longer after).

Have you run fecal testing on him? sorry if missed that,,as in giardia testing?

He might need a probiotic, Masi can have soft poops off and on, I have been giving her Opti Gest(?) I get it at petco, it's relatively inexpensive and has calmed her gut down ALOT, I do 1/4 tsp each meal (powder form)..

I feed Diamond Naturals, have fed it for years, tried other brands always tend to go back to this, my dogs do well on it and it's not that expensive.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info this will help me. I started to feed him an hour later after our workouts. I have cut his daily 6 cups of food to two meals each 2 cups of food. I am going to see how he does in the next two weeks. As far as the food, I keep hearing mix advice about nutro, blue buffalo, etc. I think I am going to stick with Nutro Ultra for the next 2 months and see how he does.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Knighted Member

Adding some plain yogurt really helped my boys soft stools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page