Am I not feeding enough?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Am I not feeding enough??

Hello everyone,

My GSD is 6.5 months old right now, and I recently switched him to Orijen Adult. But following the feeding guide of Orijen, it says for not very active dogs of 60-70lb range, it's about 2-2.5cups a day. That's exactly what I have been feeding my dog because most of the time he stays in door and gets crazy with his tug a war toy by himself (Very cute). But he acts like he is hungry and underfed. He is actually kind of thin physically in my opinion, because I see both his sides kind of sucked in, but I do not see any rib cages, nor can I feel them unless I apply some small amount of pressure. And recently, I started mixing his Orijen food with a can of Costco's Adult Premium can food, hoping to give him some more filling satisfaction. But to make matters even more confusing, when I do a calorie and nutrition comparison with other brand foods such as Nature's Domain from Costco, the energy content from Orijen is almost double the cheaper brand, so I can kind of see why Orijen feeds less. Please let me know if I am underfeeding or I am feeding just about right, with respect to Orijen's caloric content and nutrition values. I don't want an overweight dog, but nor do I want an underweight one either.

Thanks for all your inputs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Knighted Member

It sounds like your dog's condition is just right. You SHOULD be able to see a definite waist and be able to not necessarily see, but feel the ribs easily. You could always attach a photo of your dog from the side and looking down (standing up for both views) and get more opinions. You can always give your dog some low cal treats like carrots if they seem to be hungry.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Knighted Member

The way you describe him sounds like he is perfect. You should be able to feel his ribs and he should have a waistline, as you described.

Here is a good guide:
K9 Station Dog Training & AuxArcs Australian Shepherds

If he is hungry you can add things to his food that are low in calories, such as green beans.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
It sounds like your dog's condition is just right. You SHOULD be able to see a definite waist and be able to not necessarily see, but feel the ribs easily. You could always attach a photo of your dog from the side and looking down (standing up for both views) and get more opinions. You can always give your dog some low cal treats like carrots if they seem to be hungry.
I will attach some photo later on today for assessments Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
Here are some pictures I just took before I feed him today. (Also, is it weird that his back has alot of white hair?)
Am I not feeding enough??-img_20130924_152935_646.jpg

Am I not feeding enough??-img_20130924_153027_240.jpg
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Knighted Member

He is at a lanky age so he will look gangly and awkward until he starts to mature and fill out after age 1+.

You can increase by a half cup or so if you want - make sure you can feel ribs easily, see a nice waist, and a good tuck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
He is at a lanky age so he will look gangly and awkward until he starts to mature and fill out after age 1+.

You can increase by a half cup or so if you want - make sure you can feel ribs easily, see a nice waist, and a good tuck.
Thanks for replying! I was actually just wondering about that too, when he will start filling up (because other dogs his age, some have filled up already). Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Knighted Member

Males can take longer to mature and fill out. Certain lines can take up to age 3 or 4 to come into their own and mature. You will likely see ribs spring and muscle mass pack on at 16m+ or so. Don't rush the growing process - slow sustained growth is best. Is the dog intact?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Males can take longer to mature and fill out. Certain lines can take up to age 3 or 4 to come into their own and mature. You will likely see ribs spring and muscle mass pack on at 16m+ or so. Don't rush the growing process - slow sustained growth is best. Is the dog intact?
Yes the dog is still intact. I was thinking about getting him neutered around 1 year?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
He looks like this, very masculine in my view for a 6 month old. Am I not feeding enough??-img_20130924_154424_363.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page