Puppy not chewing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Puppy not chewing

Diesel is almost 12 weeks old and we have him on Blue Buffalo's puppy food. We have him on 1/2 cup heaping servings 3 times a day, however we have a few problems:

- As soon as he realizes he is about to eat, he becomes psycho and jumps trying to get the bowl as can't sit still. He literally acts like he has never eaten in his life.

- He doesn't chew his food, he literally inhales it. I add some warm water to it to soften it up and hold the bowl petting his face while he eats to try to help him be distracted and slow down. (He eats the same way when I'm watching from afar too.)

- Any time he poops or pees, he tries to eat / lick it. I'm sure he is lacking nutrients, what are some good additions we can add?

Any help or ideas are all greatly appreciate!

He is about 15lbs I would say. He had parvo at 6 weeks when we got him so he is a little behind and he is still contained to the house / backyard (occasionally) due to only having rd 1 of vacs. He gets his 2nd rd finally on Wednesday

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Get a break-fast bowl or put a big rock in the bowl to slow him down. I add water to the food I feed and soak it a little. He is being normal.

Don't have good advice on the poo other than don't let him get started. You may want to add some digestive enzymes to help him extract all the nourishment from his food. Like prozyme and others may have some suggestions.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 AM

He is still young and you need to teach him his eating manners. My puppy started on BB Large Breed Puppy, I have since switched to Fromms. BB is very small and they tend to inhale it, cough it up and eat all over again. The going nuts is a puppy thing but you must make him SIT before the food. No sit no eat... they get it eventually, but be consistant. You cant have a huge GSD jumping for his food. Which is why you have to nip this now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:56 AM

also looking at the feeding chart on the bag of BB and it says for 3-5 mos. you can feed 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 cups of food. That is for the mature weight of 50-70lbs. For your pups weight and age you might want to try upping his food amount. It says you are feeding around 1 1/2 cups per day.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeantsays View Post
also looking at the feeding chart on the bag of BB and it says for 3-5 mos. you can feed 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 cups of food. That is for the mature weight of 50-70lbs. For your pups weight and age you might want to try upping his food amount. It says you are feeding around 1 1/2 cups per day.
Thanks for your help. He isn't eating the large breed formula (I didn't realize they had it) he is just eating their blue bag puppy chicken and rice food. Their recommended servings for 3-20lbs at 1 - 3 months is 1/4 - 1 cup or from 3-5 months 1/3 - 1 1/4 cup. The pieces are much smaller so that might be a big reason why he inhales it too. I will look into their large breed formula.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM

And maybe he will be less hungry. Hope it works!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Get a break-fast bowl or put a big rock in the bowl to slow him down. I add water to the food I feed and soak it a little. He is being normal.

Don't have good advice on the poo other than don't let him get started. You may want to add some digestive enzymes to help him extract all the nourishment from his food. Like prozyme and others may have some suggestions.
Thanks for the help, I will put it in a larger bowl and try the rock idea as well. He might try to eat the rock instead knowing him. lol.

We tried 'Forbid' from our Vet and it didn't seem to work that well. If we see him going, we prevent him from getting to it and clean it up fast. As I said earlier, he isn't vacinated so he is pretty much contained to the house and our back yard when we're out there with him. Definitely slowing down our training and especially potty training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page