Free feed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Free feed?

Is it not good to free feed him? He's 11 weeks old and stays inside with me. I usually put fresh food in his bowls when it's time when he gets up in the morning and at night or when he goes to his bowl. Need advice???

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome. I prefer the method of feeding a puppy three to four times a day.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...eally-bad.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 PM

It depends sometimes on the pup. I have had dogs in the past that I was able to free feed. They knew how much to eat and when. I've also had dogs that would eat an entire bag of food if I left it out. IMHO I would not free feed a puppy though, I would split his meals up between three sitting if you can. If you work during the day two meals will work.

Good Luck and post some pics if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

Every time he eats.....he has to digest. Asking a dogs body to do that many times per day can really tax the digestive system. That is why 2 or 3 times per day is healthier.

75% of disease in dogs begins in the gut so you don't want to overwork it. Don't forget that a digestive enzyme and probiotic is important too. Here is a combination human grade product: The Wholistic Pet

Moms
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Knighted Member

It also makes it harder to potty train if they are grazing instead of having set meals. With scheduled feedings, you know approximately when they will need to eliminate.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Normally, your first sign of distress of any kind, is your animal going off feed. Free feeding will take you longer to realize you have a problem.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
It also makes it harder to potty train if they are grazing instead of having set meals. With scheduled feedings, you know approximately when they will need to eliminate.
Ahhhhhhh Think you may have answered the question in my head.... I was feeding my pup 2-3 times a day... she would release herself as soon as we would go outside........ now she is older (8months) and I free feed... but now it takes a while outside before she release

...Maybe its due to the free feeding or it could be because she is older maybe? not sure... but I do know even free feeding, she only eats when she is hungry... I can put a full bowl out in the morning 9am.. and it will still be there full about 3-4pm... then when I have dinner she will go to her bowl and finally eat.. or If i put her food out around 6/7pm... she wont eat it til like late 12am/1am Ill hear her crunching on it lol

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page