Food transition problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Food transition problem

Sorry for double post but this is new question, so as some of you know I am in the process to switching my dog from Fromm duck and sweet potato to Acana chicken and Burbank potato. After having to switch him from Fromm's LBP due to excessive itching I changed to there 4 star line which he has shown NO interest for. I am now giving him a small portion of Acana with larger amount of Fromms. Last night he gobbled it up bc I put Acana on top, this morning he ate around the Fromms and just ate Acana. So he left the majority of the food in his bowel but ate every bit of Acana. What should I do? I still have quite a bit of Fromm's to help his transition but, if he is not going to eat it, I am not sure what to do. Should I be adding beef broth to it to coax him to eat (that's how I have been getting him to eat the Fromm) Thanks.

Lindsay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Elite Member

Some stores will take the Fromm's back (and give a refund) if you have a receipt and more than half the bag left. You could also donate the rest of the Fromm's to a rescue in your area or a pet food pantry or spca. I know when transiting food we should do it over time but if your pup isn't going to eat it and it makes him itch why force the issue IMHO. If your pup loves the Acana, I say go with it and ditch the Fromm's.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

The four star line doesn't make him itch as bad as the LBP (but he still does a little) he just does not like it at all. I put the food in a container and dont have bag to return it. I would love to donate it but I didn't think they would take it unless it was unopened in the bag. I have a whole bag of a high quality puppy food I had bought before I got him and didn't know about calcuim/ phos levels that I hated to throw out so have left it in airtight container. Ill call and see if they will take that too. Thanks. I think I will just add some pumpkin to the acana and hope for the best. Its funny bc once he had picked through the bowel of all the acana he just looked at me like, wheres the rest mom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Elite Member

Is it a possibility potatoes are making the dog itch? They do that.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

The vet suspects flax seed. Not sure why but she said she has had quite a few dogs that get itchy from flax seed. Acana uses marine sources as their omega source instead of flax. I am saving the bag of acana to make sure it mixes well with him. The store said as long as there was a good amount left I could exchange it for a different kind. He doesn't itch nearly as bad though on their four star line, he just wont eat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page