Mixed reviews on food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mixed reviews on food?

I just recently got a 6 week old GSD. I have been reading a lot about the food and what to feed him and I have come across a ton of mixed information. What should I be looking for as far as ingredients? I know low calcium is better 0.7-1.2, I know no filler (corn, wheat, by-products) But what else am I looking for? or whats acceptable as far as phosphates and such? And should he be on LB puppy food or can I get a LB adult/all life cycle food? I'm sorry for posting this when there is so much information on here but im so worried about joint issues, hip-dysplasia I'm a nervous wreck lol. Could someone provide me a list of what ingredients I should focus on and what the acceptable levels should be so I can be better prepared in making a decision on his dry food. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh and I saw a guy mix wet food in with dry food is this something that is good or helpful again thank you and I will continue to research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM

That's a loaded question that will start a war here. For hip concerns I've been told the most important thing after quality food is to keep the weight down. I have a 9 month GSD and started my boy on Royal Canin GSD. I swore by it until I compared it to other brands. I was feeding him almost 6 cups a day and that seemed like a lot. I switched to Orijen large breed puppy and am very happy. 3.5 cups a day keeps his weight/size where i want it and the serving size seems more appropriate for a 90lb dog. That is pretty heavy for a GSD especially at his age but dad is a lean 105 lbs. I only mention his size to put the daily portion in perspective. Here's a link that I used to help make my decision. After you read a few reviews it becomes pretty clear what's important.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

On mixing dry and wet. I used to do it (on raw now) but then I read somewhere (I won't be able to find it though) that there are some bacteria on dry food and moistening it with water or wet food just encourages its growth so they advise against it.

I'm sure I misstated the reason, google it. But they did say it was a bad idea though most people are doing it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM

I was right there with you, too many opinions to choose from! Did your breeder recommend anything? Mine suggested Fromms LBP and I've been happy with it - I bought into the LBP idea personally. You can find a lot of helpful information on DogFoodAdvisor.com, as far as the benefits/pitfalls of all kind of ingredients, and they have a rating system that makes sense to me. Most important though is to find a food your dog will eat (and I do mix in canned food, eggs, sweet potato puree, yogurt, or something to make it more interesting since my dog's not a great eater unless it's raw frozen tripe!), and that she does well on. You can tell she's doing well by steady, normal weight gain, coat condition, and poop - solid and not excessive amounts. Some of the highest rated foods like Acana and Origen were just to rich and caused Jedda to have loose stools, so I had to go with a "lesser" brand. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Knighted Member

I've been using LB puppy and will probably mix 50/50 with adult LB when my pup reaches 6 months of age. I mix a LOT of water with mine. As long as you're not leaving the food out to sit around, it's not going to grow bacteria in the 1-2 minutes it takes a dog to eat. If your dog doesn't finish its meal, then I would take it up in 15-20 minutes. Mine is a hoover -- very food motivated so I have nothing to worry about! A lot of people use a bit of canned as a topper for their dry dog as well to make it more palatable. My dog doesn't care as he loves to eat.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help

Thank you everyone for your responses and helping me out. I decided to try "Ultra" Adult he seems to really like it and it seems to have some good reviews? Any advice about this one? He has been eating "beneful" for about a week and kinda picks at it from time to time so I'm slowly mixing the two to slowly get him off it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page