Changing foods...picky eater...big poops - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Changing foods...picky eater...big poops

Ok, so I am hoping to get more responses than my last post got. I have come with differnent questions, after thinking about the problems and what I want from a food. I have started Samson on Fromm's LBP which he loved but became very itchy. So, since I love Fromm as a company, tried their Beef frittata(grain free) and the itching cleared up. Then I thought well maybe it wasn't the grains but some form of protein since LBP has many different protein sources and tried duck and sweet potata(grain inclusive) he does ok on this but has gone from loving his food from LBP to me having to add broth to coax him to eat now(or with the beef fritata). So I was looking at food choices and came across DR. Tims at first but now have started thinking that it may be a chicken intolerance that caused the very bad itching. I wanted to try a fish based food and was going to to Acana pacifica but read that the calcium/phos is not right for Samson as he is only 5 months. I can't afford Orjen 6fish. Are there any recommendations anyone has for me? Another issue is the amount of food I have to feed him with Fromms, and the size of his poops on it (they are HUGE). So basically I want a food the will appeal to my now picky eater, that not make him itch and wont need to feed him so much to make huge smelly poops. Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

Hi!
Sent you a PM...the link can answer questions you may have.
Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 09-07-2013 at 04:43 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Crowned Member

Couple of thoughts.
*Why didn't you go back to the Fromm's Fritatta if he didn't itch on it and did well?
*Did you try their other "Grain Free" varieties like the "Surf n Turf"?
*Have you thought about doing a partial raw diet? Such as using The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix to which you add your own fresh meat? 7# = $54 Makes 29 pounds
A grain-free, gluten-free foundation diet for use with added raw meat, meaty bones, or cooked meat. All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen

Hmmmm, Dr. Tim's food: in the top 6 ingredients there is only one meat source which makes it grain heavy.
Contains: DL-Methionine: Which is a lab made amino acid. Per Dr. Aldrich, a pet food industry advisor: The starting materials for production of DL methionine are acrolein (a 3-carbon aldehyde) derived from propylene (a petroleum derivative), methyl mercaptan derived from methanol and various sulfur sources and hydrocyanic acid (HCN).” Studies on rats have shown an increase in cancerous tumors from ingestion.

Canola Oil: The Weston A. Price Foundation article quotes numerous studies of the effects of Canola oil in animals; “These studies all point in the same direction--that canola oil is definitely not healthy for the cardiovascular system. Like rapeseed oil, its predecessor, canola oil is associated with fibrotic lesions of the heart. It also causes vitamin E deficiency, undesirable changes in the blood platelets and shortened life-span in stroke-prone rats when it was the only oil in the animals' diet. Furthermore, it seems to retard growth, which is why the FDA does not allow the use of canola oil in infant formula.” Journalist David Lawrence Dewey quotes research from the University of Florida that “determined that as muh as 4.6% of all the fatty acids in unrefined canola are ‘trans’ isomers (which are somewhat like plastic) due to the refining process.”

Just something for you to consider!
Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

He did stop itching but he lost his appetite. No I haven't tried their surf and turf I wanted to but he just hasn't had any interest in any of their 4star lines so far. I also would like to get a higher calorie food so he doesn't have to eat so much per day and his poops won't be so huge. Yeah even though Dr. Tims is a 5star food I kinda figured there was a reason no one raves about it. BYW he is food driven in training and is always trying to pick up any fallen food (from my youngest high chair) So I know he does enjoy food just not those 2 Ive tried on the 4 star line. Any more ideas?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay1126 View Post
BYW he is food driven in training and is always trying to pick up any fallen food (from my youngest high chair) So I know he does enjoy food just not those 2 Ive tried on the 4 star line. Any more ideas?
Yep! LOT'S!
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Foods are my favorite (b/c it is the ONLY human grade/quality food out there) and what I use when not feeding raw.
Or you could try Acana Regionals (NON grain) or Nature's Variety Instinct (NON grain) or go back to the Fromm's with this new addition.
Get some ground chuck or ground round from the store. Put about 1/4th to 1/3rd cup in his bowl and add about 1 cup of warm water, then add the kibble and let it soak for about a half hour, mix again and serve. My guess is that she will scarf it down!
Other things you can use to "top off" is canned Mackerel or Salmon (use about 2 tablespoons) mixed like above or canned in water sardines, or a raw egg.
Here is my recipe for a great healthy, real, training treats!
"Bone" Appetite' Samson!
Homemade Meat Treats

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Pam
Scissors
Choose one of the following meats: Round Steak, Pork Chops, Lamb Slices or Calves Liver

1. Trim off all fat on the edges and/or in-between and if it has a bone in it, remove that too.
Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the chosen meat into manageable pieces. If using Liver, blot dry with paper towel for easier handling after it is unfrozen. You can cook this in whole pieces.
2. Choose a fry pan (non stick is the easiest) that will hold the amount of meat you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
3. Heat the pan until hot and drop the pieces of meat in to the pan to sizzle. Keep your heat rather high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
4. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt if desired.
5. Let the meat sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice during cooking if there is too much). Remove from pan and place on to paper towel, blot and let cool. Note: Only braise the liver to a medium done range on both sides (don’t thoroughly cook it) otherwise it will get crumbly.
6. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in to strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
7. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. When you need them, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig to thaw. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget!
If you’d like a more “dehydrated” type treat: Heat your oven to 200*. Place your dime size, cut pieces on a non stick cookie sheet and place in oven until dried out, about 1 hour.
The treats take a little time but saves a lot of $$ and the dogs go crazy for them!

Moms
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I really liked the Acana Pacifica but read that the calcium/phos levels are too high for him (he is only 5 months old). Not sure I can afford a good dog food and dehydrated food. Wish I could though. We are trying to finish paying off all are credit card debt and once we do I want to go raw all the way but just can't make it affordable right now. My max budget is about $70 a month. That is pushing it but if I can feed less to make a big bag last a month and not have to pick up monstrous poops on our walks then it is well worth the extra $$
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

Have you considered a raw diet? I had my dogs on prey model raw for over two years. Switched back to wellness CORE kibble lately, for convenience and training purposes. PMR takes a lot of work, initially, but might be your solution. It really helped us out a Lot!, and I look forward to going back to it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I just looked up the instinct and that looks really good and affordable. The only one I saw had a low min. calcium/ phos levels was the rabbit do you know of any others. I sent them a quick email asking their maximums too, just figured I would ask. Thanks.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I did try doing raw when he was little but when my husband and I decided to try to pay off our CC debt his raw diet had to be cut being it was about $150 a month but will return once we get the last bit paid off.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay1126 View Post
I just looked up the instinct and that looks really good and affordable. The only one I saw had a low min. calcium/ phos levels was the rabbit do you know of any others. I sent them a quick email asking their maximums too, just figured I would ask. Thanks.
Their rabbit comes from China and Lamb from New Zealand. Other ingredients are US sourced.
It is "Balanced For All Life Stages" I don't think any of their varieties have 3% calcium
This quote may help.
Taken from Relationship of Nutrition to Developmental Skeletal Disease in Young Dogs by Daniel C. Richardson & Phillip W. Toll: The absolute level of calcium in the diet, rather than an imbalance in the calcium/phosphorus ratio, influences skeletal development.2 Young, giant-breed dogs fed a food containing excess calcium (3.3% dry matter basis) with either normal phosphorus(0.9% dry matter basis) or high phosphorus(3% dry matter basis, to maintain a normal calcium/phosphorus ratio) had significantly increased incidence of developmental bone disease.2 These puppies apparently were unable to protect themselves against the negative effects of chronic calcium excess.3 Further, chronic high calcium intake increased the frequency and severity of osteochondrosis."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page