Dr. Tims???? Picky eater - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Dr. Tims???? Picky eater

Hi everyone,
I have been feeding Samson Fromm's since I got him. I love them as a company. I first tried their LBP and he became very itchy. I switched to their 4star line (beef frittata which is grain free and duck and sweet potato which is grain inclusive) He doesn't itch as bad but does not show much interest in the food. He is has been vet checked and completely healthy. He will eat it when he gets really hungry but is not enthusiastic like he used to be unless I add some beef broth or an egg. He also is very food driven in training so I know he loves food. So needless to say, I am in the market for a new food for him. I was looking over the five star foods and saw Dr. Tim's is rated 4.5-5 stars( I would need to feed the 4.5 star due to calcium/phos levels being to high in grain free) and seems to be a very reasonable price. Anyone have any experience. Also I have been considering doing Orijen but only if it is cost efficient,( as in I won't have to feed him as much) to make it worth the price difference. Any other thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Side info: Samson is 5 months old and weighs 53 lbs.

Lindsay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Hi Lindsay,

I like Dr. Tim's. I feed "Momentum" during the winter skijor season to my dogs. It is a good food, at the right price. Palatability-wise, even my pickiest eater doesn't have a problem . My dogs readily ate the food, especially after working and building up an appetite.

The price is definitely right! I buy it locally from a distributor (musher) and it is a great deal. Most of my skijor friends and many top mushers now use Dr. Tim's products. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I often put salmon oil, a bit of chopped liver, or even melted butter on my dogs' food to increase palatability and add calories. My malinois especially loves a bit of melted butter on her kibble- and she burns up the calories in no time!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Good to know. It looks like such a good food, but I cant find anyone talking about it. I wish I could do grain free option since I am not sure what was causing his original itchiness. I had planned to go with kinesis since he is a family dog. He does powerwalk with me about 4.5 miles a day(2.25 miles 2x a day) and play with my girls but, he is far from a high energy working dog. Thanks. More opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I was just reading up on the 3 different kinds of food Dr. Tim has. I understand now that each has a higher calorie content. I sent an email asking if my 5 month old GSD would eat the same amount as feeding guidelines and he said he would. I was thinking about getting Pursuit instead since it is higher calorie and that means he would need less. I feel like he has to eat so much of the Fromm to get the right amount that it would be nice to only have to give him 3 cups. BTW all his foods besides the grain free option have the right ratio of calcium/phos. So thoughts? Ideas? Suggestion on other foods to look at? I need to order soon so I have enough to transition. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page