Diarrhea in 4 Mo Old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Diarrhea in 4 Mo Old

Hi Folks,

I have a (almost) 4 month old GSD who has encountered some issues with loose stools/diarrhea. She eats RC GS Puppy, and we have not changed her diet in any way, which is leading to the confusion with the onset of this issue.

The diarrhea has mostly been at night (in her crate), which leads me to beleive it could be caused by stress. At times she'll have perfectly normal stools during the day, and at other times the diarrhea will continue into the day. She has been crated from day 1, which is why I find it funny that she would suddenly become stressed by this.

We have had the stool tested and it came back negative, and have tried a bland diet, and introduction of a pro-biotic. Still, one week later the diarrhea continues. Considering a swith to BB food, but I keep going back to the fact that we have not changed anything in the diet, so why the sudden issues?

The consistency is much like pudding, and there is no blood in the stool.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM

My puppy went through a short phase of diarrhea as well back when she was 3 months old. My suggestion would be to feed your pup white rice and boiled chicken and make sure to give the pup plenty of water. Diarrhea leads to dehydration. Don't switch to BB just yet especially because the high amount of protein won't solve your pup's tummy situation. Keep taking him/her outside and keep a careful eye on the stool..look for any changes. You may have to sacrifice some sleep as well to take your pup outside a couple of times. My puppy was fed bacon when she was 3 months and her sensitive stomach couldn't handle it! The diarrhea lasted for a whole week so just be patient and see how it goes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Knighted Member

I second the rice and boiled chicken. It was my go to solution when Pyrate had problems and always worked. I used to keep rice already cooked in the fridge most of the time when he got older as he had a lot of problems. With Raina I use oatmeal as she is allergic to rice. If you get the Quick Quaker Oats you can have it ready in a minute in the microwave.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

any blood tests?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

When were her last inoculations and when did the diarrhea start?
Which Pro-Biotic are you using?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM

I am in the same boat.. the only way i can control it is by adding 100% pure pumpkin, sweet potato, Apples ..

you can buy pumpkin cans from any supermarket store or even a pet store just make sure that if you go to a super market you get 100% pumpkin no sugars or any other thing inside, sweet potatos are awesome too they give a nice taste just make sure you peel and boil them for 15 or 20 min and throw them in the food processor. for apples cut them but make sure to stay away from the core and take all the seeds away.. I hope this helps . in my case my dog stool is now hard as a rock i am now trying to remove the fiber to see if she can keep doing it on her own ..

Last edited by Sammi13; 09-04-2013 at 10:53 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM

I forgot to add that sammi is also eating the same Food " RC GS Puppy" and switching To ACANA
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi13 View Post
I forgot to add that sammi is also eating the same Food " RC GS Puppy" and switching To ACANA
Good choice Sammi!
RC is now using By-Products in their food!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM

I agree not to switch to the Blue Buffalo. If she has a sensative stomach that wont help at all. I am in the process of switching my 5 month old from BB. He has not had a firm stool in a month.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM

i know i was reading to see what makes this food so special when it comes to GI issues and i cant see anything , all the ingredients are ...

and is really expensive..$40 for 8lbs

I think that i can buy rice and chicken and do it on my own ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page