I have a skinny dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I have a skinny dog

Hey there everybody

my dog is a picky eater, and this is causing alot of problems like dull fur also making the fur thick in some areas of her body and coarse in other areas. i am feeding her royal canine dry food also tried prairie but it didn't make any difference. i tried Blue buffalo and it was great but i can't find it in pet shops anymore. i started supplementing with omega-3 to make her fur shinier it worked perfectly, but the fur is still thick in some areas of her body and coarse in other areas, and also still skinny. so what do you think i should do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Knighted Member

Not sure where you are from but you can get most foods delivered to you from online stores like Pet Food Direct, Wag.com, etc. I've heard organic coconut oil can help with coats, but I haven't fed it personally.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Crowned Member

I took this from another thread posted by Momto3GSDs

These ingredients are also soothing and healing for the skin.
Coconut Oil is great.
The other oils that may help are:
Krill Oil (more benefits than Salmon) 1 tablet per day (when NOT feeding fish that day) for adult: Krill Oil capsules (180 per bottle): 1 bottle - Mercola.com
Cold Pressed Hemp Oil when feeding beef found at health food store in cold case: Provides the linoleic acid that the beef is deficient in since it is not a fresh kill. Overall ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids is improved.
Cold Pressed Flax Seed Oil when feeding fowl
found at health food store in cold case: To increase the linoleic acid and the alpha linoleic acid in ratio of 2:1 to 6:1

I thought this may help you as well. Strange you can't find BB.

Last edited by Nigel; 08-26-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

You could start trying with topping her food with deliciousness to get her to eat more. Such as boiled chicken/rice mix or a wet food. Some people suggest on here, The honest kitchen, which looks amazing (out of my price range for now!). But that is another option you could look into! I have to feed mine 3 times a day. 2 cups per feeding with topped boiled chicken/rice. Every meal. Or she probably wont eat it. She is also skinny. The other thing you can do for picky eaters, is buying some nutri-cal. I gave some my dog, but it gave her diarrhea since she has a sensitive stomach. Look it up on amazon and check out all the reviews to see if you think its right for you.
Also you might want to contact your vet to do some blood work, so see if its something serious or not. Also they can give you advice there.
Fish oil and coconut oil would probably help with the fur problems. Mine has fish oil everyday for her joints, but it also makes her have a smooth and shiny coat.
Blue Buffalo is on amazon. It's about as expensive as it is in more pet stores around here. You could look into that!
Good luck!

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Have you seen this --> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/162644-pup-doesnt-want-eat-picky-eater.html

Also, post some pictures of her from the side (standing) and from above her looking down. She may not be a skinny as you think but we need to SEE!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
The other thing you can do for picky eaters, is buying some nutri-cal. I gave some my dog, but it gave her diarrhea since she has a sensitive stomach. Look it up on amazon and check out all the reviews to see if you think its right for you.
Yes, do look up the Nutri-Cal (as VTGirlT suggested) before a possible purchase as sugar type ingredients are used as the bulk of this product which I am quite amazed at! Sugar raises the blood glucose level b/c of a high gylcemic index and could cause hyperactivity! Diabetes??????
Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Malt Syrup, Cod Liver Oil, Cane Molasses,

I have found the best way to stimulate a kibble fed dogs appetite is to barley cover the kibble with water, stir in about 1/3 cup of raw ground beef or ground chicken or ground turkey, let this soak for about 15 to 30 minutes to rehydrate the kibble and then feed. If you choose to slightly cook the meat first, make sure you rinse it with water to remove the grease as most dogs cannot assimilate "cooked" grease and it may give them diarrhea.

Hope this helps!
Moms
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos94 View Post
Hey there everybody

my dog is a picky eater, and this is causing alot of problems like dull fur also making the fur thick in some areas of her body and coarse in other areas. i am feeding her royal canine dry food also tried prairie but it didn't make any difference. i tried Blue buffalo and it was great but i can't find it in pet shops anymore. i started supplementing with omega-3 to make her fur shinier it worked perfectly, but the fur is still thick in some areas of her body and coarse in other areas, and also still skinny. so what do you think i should do ?
You could also try a higher quality kibble such as Fromms or Acana and add some appropriate oils. Make sure when changing her diet that you incorporate new items slowly and at reduced rates so as not to cause gut upset.
Just FYI....Royal Canin now uses BY-PRODUCTS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page