Can I give maxx some peanut butter inside his kong? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Can I give maxx some peanut butter inside his kong?

I was just wondering if I could put some peanut butter in maxx's kong toy for him to chew on and also for mental stimulation? And I've also heard freezing it with his dog food and peanut butter is a good treat too. What are your thoughts on this? And would it be harmful to maxx?

Thank you!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Love my MAXX!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Elite Member

It's prolly safe to feed him peanut butter. I treat frozen peanut butter kongs to my boys with no issues. Maxx looks a bit young in your profile pick, depending on if he's a puppy still, I would prolly start with a small amount off a spoon as a test to make sure it doesn't trouble his digestive track first. Then if it all goes well, start with a small amount in a kong and work your way up. Sometimes too much peanut butter gave my boy soft stool when he was a puppy so maybe go slow initially.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM

My only dislike of peanut butter in kongs is you really do need to clean it up afterward. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

I've had a few occasions where they lost the kong under the couch and I didn't find it for a while.....big fun in the sink.

As for the tummy issues - It's like eating an MRE. You balance the peanut butter and cheese to keep things operating properly if you follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrg4 View Post
It's prolly safe to feed him peanut butter. I treat frozen peanut butter kongs to my boys with no issues. Maxx looks a bit young in your profile pick, depending on if he's a puppy still, I would prolly start with a small amount off a spoon as a test to make sure it doesn't trouble his digestive track first. Then if it all goes well, start with a small amount in a kong and work your way up. Sometimes too much peanut butter gave my boy soft stool when he was a puppy so maybe go slow initially.
Yes he is only 3 1/2 months old. I have him a tiny tiny amount in his kong and be seems to really like it I will try the freezing thing in a few days when I make sure that he isn't having any issues with bowel movements and stuff like that. Thank you!

Love my MAXX!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexFoster View Post
My only dislike of peanut butter in kongs is you really do need to clean it up afterward. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

I've had a few occasions where they lost the kong under the couch and I didn't find it for a while.....big fun in the sink.

As for the tummy issues - It's like eating an MRE. You balance the peanut butter and cheese to keep things operating properly if you follow.
Haha yes I will make sure that I clean it out and make sure that he doesn't lose it. Yeah I will make sure he doesn't have any users with it. I think my main concern was upsetting his tummy and also if he is too young for it yet. Thank you!!

Love my MAXX!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

How often can I give it to him for his age and as long as there are no issues with it?

Love my MAXX!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

I am a firm believer in 'everything in moderation' so my boys prolly don't get peanut butter more than once a week. I rotate through the following treats: pb kong, pig ears (small chunks - not whole ears), antlers, raw bones, carrots, frozen yogurt cubes, nylabones, and various other minimally processed dog-safe foods.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Unsalted peanut butter...you wanna get the good stuff.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Master Member

You can freeze the kong w the PB in it to make it last longer

Kaleef Black Bear Bugatti
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CGC, Advanced Obedience, Intermediate Air Scent Tracking,
650+ trail miles
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all from your answers!!

Now, can he get a peanut allergy or something?

And also, he is a pretty normal pooper. Like he goes when he wakes up in the morning and then once ( sometimes twice after each meal, but today he hasn't had a bowel movement since this morning around 7:30am, and now it is 1:00pm and still nothing. Could this be normal every once in a while due to being tired or is it something that I should get my vet in on?

Sorry so many questions. I guess I'm paranoid... He's not my first dog but my first GSD and I lost my Rottweiler very suddenly from illness at 17 months old, and I know with puppies and dogs things can go bad real quick but I also don't want to be a worry wart ya know?

Love my MAXX!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page