5 month old on Blue Basics... how much food a day?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

5 month old on Blue Basics... how much food a day??

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've been searching for a few days and haven't found the answer to my specific question yet here... but from what I've seen, you all know what you're talking about.

We started our boy on BB Wilderness LBP, but he continuously had loose stools. I though maybe it was too rich, or that he had a poultry sensitivity, so I changed him to BB Basics Salmon and Potato. He's doing better on it than the Wilderness, but since it is an adult food we are unclear on how much he should be getting a day. Right now he eats 5-6 cups over 3 feedings. His stools are great in the morning, but get softer over the course of the day. From what I've seen on here, that could mean he is eating too much. You wouldn't guess that to look at him, he's a skinny little fella. He's 5 months tomorrow and 48 pounds.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Hi, I'm no expert either, but from what it says on their website, it looks like if they're 41-61lbs they should get 2.5-3.5 cups/day. However, it says it can vary based on breed, age, activity level, etc. You could titrate to how hungry the pup seems, how they look (overweight, underweight, etc) and how their stools are.

We are thinking of making the switch from BB Large Breed puppy as well though! That's how I found your post! It seems like a lot of people are having trouble with it with the itchy spots and that is our problem as well. He has some random dry, itchy patches. We treated with an antibacterial/antifungal shampoo (GNC brand from petsmart) and saw some improvement, but not much. It really seems to be since we've been feeding BB Large Breed Puppy. We actually started off feeding him BB Wilderness, then left for 1 wk to get married and the breeder watched him, where she fed him Holistic Select puppy (which he had been eating with her prior, only 1 month before). Then we came back and the vet kind of scolded me and said he should be getting puppy food, so I switched him to the BB Large breed puppy.

Anyway, like I said, since then we've been having the itchy, dry spots. Glad to hear the salmon kind is working for you! I am going to make the switch. I also noticed the calcium is not higher either, which is good for our pups. It's 1% calcium and 22% protein. Eventually when he's an adult, I'd like to switch him to BB Wilderness again.

Anyway, good luck and let me know how you're doing with the BB Basics Salmon. My boy is 6 months old, almost 7 months. I need to weigh him though. Hasn't been weighed in awhile but I imagine he's around 65-70lbs.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Knighted Member

I would start with the top end of the range given for your pup's weight since puppies normally eat more than an adult dog and adjust as needed depending on the condition. if he starts losing, increase the amount. If he gains, decrease it. I usually up and lower the amount by a 1/4 cup a meal. Right now my pup is on BB Large Breed puppy and doing great. I plan to switch to 50/50 adult/puppy when he hits 6 months....maybe. I haven't completely decided.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page