Sick puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Sick puppy

NEW ( 8 week old GSP/ husky mix) owner here.
The other day we had to abruptly switch the puppy food that we were on,
( switched to kibble ) he seemed ok, then I stupidly added a little bit of rice and potatoes to his food.. my baby had explosive diarrhea last night, and this morning it was very watery and he did throw up about 2 times.

I feel so horrible for making him sick, I took away his food and I heard holding his food for 24 hours will help his system calm down. He wouldn't drink so i had to add a couple grains of salt to his water to flavor it and he finally drank some.

I have no idea what to do, or what to give him to help with his poo.
He has an appointment next week to get all his shots etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

oh. Usually he is all wired up and hyper like a 2 year old child... he has been sleeping all morning.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM

I am not experienced enough to know what could be wrong so hopefully you will get some more responses soon. I would advise taking your pup to a vet though as I have learned on this forum that when dealing with a sick pup, it is best to get them help quickly when they are sick. Puppies can go downhill quickly especially at eight weeks old...dehydration is one big concern. Hope your puppy is ok and feeling better very soon. Not sure if adding salt to the water is a good idea....I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like a good idea?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

rice and potatoes should not have this reaction

what was he fed before , what did you switch him to

maybe the new food is spoiled , has mold ?

don't give vaccinations to an unwell animal

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

It may not have been solely the addition of the people food, but the abrupt switch in kibble without a transition. Eliminate everything but kibble and give him some pure canned pumpkin to see if that helps form his stools. If it was very watery diarrhea, then it may be something else going on, but I would give the pumpkin a chance to work and see if it helps.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

He was fed dry food before I forgot the name and threw the bag out already, Im sure if I went back to the store I could find it.

Would regular puppy kibble have mold on it if it comes from a bag lol? I'm not really sure if it has mold? We switched to the beef and chicken flavor.

Before I saw to not feed him for 24 hours to help his tummy, I tried giving him his food and he wasn't having ANY of it.. I even tried to give him a tablespoon of rice mixed with potatoes and wouldn't budge for that either. : (

He just threw up again. Its clear with a brownish tint. No odor, and when I wipe it up it almost has that texure of egg whites that havent been cooked.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Ill try the canned pumpkin!! Thank you!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

MY POOR BABY
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

sometimes when food is bagged at too high a temperature the sealed bag will have moisture , heat and dark , the outer perimeter and top of the food will be loose kibble . Split open the bag and you will have a clump of food with a musty smell.

There was one company that had several of these , recalls.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 AM

I get the Libby's brand pumpkin....there are two kinds that I have seen. Make sure you get the one that says 100%pure. The only ingredient it will list is pumpkin. The bile may be due to the acid in his tummy because he hasn't eaten anything. Vomiting and watery poop can cause dehydration....the puppy definitely needs to drink or receive fluids. Again, others are more experienced but this is what I learned when our puppy was sick. Very important.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page