rice and chicken - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

rice and chicken

Iv brought my pup off a someone that has bred one litter and don't plan on breeding again so no experience, as we got to their house to see our little man they were just feeding them, rice and chicken, I presume it was boiled chicken? Breeder said this is the only thing that doesn't upset their stomachs. Now to my knowledge boiled chicken and rice was fed to dogs with upset tummys etc. Is this a good enough food source for a growing pup? Obviously I'm going to feed him proper food I'm just Abit worried, I noticed the pups coats arnt at all great, some had flakey skin in some places, instead of being shiny they were dull etc , could this be down to what they're being fed?
Or am I over reacting cause he's my new baby
He's not coming home until the 25th of this month so will be continuely fed on this until he's 9 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Diet has sooooo much to do with skin and coat, so yes the diet could be a cause to the dry skin and dull coat (fish oil and coconut oil given orally can bring the coat back and moisturize the skin). IMO this is not a suitable diet. I have heard of others doing this as well, but it is not a balanced meal. Also, most grains upset dogs/puppy tummies (hence all the grain free dog foods) and last time I checked, rice is a type grain. Like us, dogs need a balanced diet composed of many different compounds. If you look around in the forum under diet and B.A.R.F raw diet, you will see what all should be included in a diet that is not dog food. Especially during this stage in life, diet is very important for development.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Chicken and rice is NOT balanced enough for puppies, and probably they are going heavy on the rice too.....

If they are trying to save money cause they can't affort to feed the puppies properly that's a shame and tells you they shouldn't have had puppies in the first place.

If it's truly because that's the only thing the puppies can eat there may be a medical issue also going on because you are right, that's the normal bland diet we give our puppies when they aren't well.

Just go into this with your eyes open cause though you may be saving money on the initial purchase of the puppy. You may have some heavy vet bills in the future while you figure this out.

What we try to do before calling up and looking (falling in love?) with a puppy is only support and give money to responsible breeders in the hope the less reliable will STOP having litters in the future. Have you had a look at this ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ind-puppy.html

Good luck!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

"that has bred one litter and don't plan on breeding again so no experience"
seems like then you will have no support from them . Litter may be accidental?

ask them why they have this notion "Breeder said this is the only thing that doesn't upset their stomachs."

ask specifically about the entire litter . Were they experiencing loose stools . They may be correcting loose stools with the mechanical block action of the boiled white rice which has no nutritional value to speak of for dogs.

ask if the litter has been wormed, when and with what .

they may not have the experience to do this .
coupled with a marginal diet and a worm load the pups will look less than robust

I wouldn't worry about a shiny coat on a pup because pups tend to have fluff , but even so there should be some lustre and feel and no scurf -- (needs some essential fatty acids)

ask how the mother has been fed during her pregnancy and during her whelping and nursing , will affect pup through fetal nourishment and the dam's milk quality.

chicken and rice is a mineral difficient diet which will impact , bone (orthopedic) immune, growth , digestion - minerals being the spark plug needed by enzymes for them to become activated.

consider these questions

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies and advice, I thought it was odd that they would feed this,
Were actually thinking of canceling our holiday and fetching him tomorrow instead, he is ready to keav tomorrow but our Holiday is booked until next Friday..
But quicker I can get him onto correct diet and nutrition the better!
What would you suggest feeding him on when I get him back?
Hoping not to upset his stomach anymore and he will be in vets within a day for injections and general check up etc

Thanks again Kate
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I am from the UK also so if any food brands I might not be able to get over here?
I understand large dog breed puppy biscuits, and after he's seen vet ill be introducing raw meats as my local butchers bag up all left overs for your dogs, I.e pig, rabbit, venison everything they can't sell for humans so I'm looking forward to him chomping down on some proper food and having a full.feeling tummy!!

They actually said as we arrived we was hoping to get them fed before you arrived, instantly made me go "hmmm?"

But its not the pups fault so either way he's mine
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

lucky you !

make sure to include chicken necks , chicken frames (carcass) for the boney portion

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Are dogs allowed chicken bones???? Iv always thought it was a big no no because their bones splinter? Or am I just listening to wives tails lol
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Raw chicken bones are fine, it's when they're cooked that they may splinter and are dangerous

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

this won't be of any benefit to you in the UK , but I am offering it since it is a good illustration of what a raw fed dog is fed Chicken Products

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page