GSDs Require Large Breed Formula? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

GSDs Require Large Breed Formula?

We took Griz in for his first vet check with our vet and she was a little concerned about our feeding him a non-large breed puppy food.

We feed Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy formula, about 2.5 cups a day. Eventually I'm hoping to move to a raw diet but we are trying to balance finances and finding the meat and...well, all that...so we do it right.

I've never heard of it being bad to feed non-large breed formula to a large breed. Anyone heard of this? What am I missing?

See what I'm up to!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Typically the large breed puppy foods are lower in calcium and protein to help insure slow steady growth. The numbers on the TOTW formulas don't look that off to me. ..... but that is why. There are some nice sticky notes you should read in the feeding the puppy section about selecting puppy food.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I've been reading them this evening (after I posted the thread-shoulda read first). So much information-I LOVE this forum!!

See what I'm up to!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I am a little confused. A lot of people feed RAW and love it, but wouldn't that have a lot of protein and calcium?

See what I'm up to!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

Your not missing anything. Your vet is not up on foods. They only take one course on nutrition for all animals. Just look at what they sell, pretty bad food. Bad food can cause so many problems, vets should really have to learn more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrey View Post
We took Griz in for his first vet check with our vet and she was a little concerned about our feeding him a non-large breed puppy food.

We feed Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy formula, about 2.5 cups a day. Eventually I'm hoping to move to a raw diet but we are trying to balance finances and finding the meat and...well, all that...so we do it right.

I've never heard of it being bad to feed non-large breed formula to a large breed. Anyone heard of this? What am I missing?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Knighted Member

Adult large breed formulas have additional glucosamine.

We fed a puppy large breed formula. I don't think it is bad to feed regular puppy food, I'm sure your vet just wants what they feel is best for your dog.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Knighted Member

It depends on the puppy food. Some ARE too high in calcium for large breed puppies. Calcium promotes rapid growth which you don't want for their joints, so the lower calcium foods would be a better choice.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I would agree Gretchen. I just wasn't sure what she meant, especially when she said that they are high in calcium and protein. I would think, since these are pretty important for growth, that they would be a good thing to have. It does make sense with larger breeds to want less though, so growth is slower.

Does that pertain to the RAW diet? Or because its more natural (and lots of water weight) does the RAW diet encourage slower growth?

See what I'm up to!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

I don't feed my puppies food, I go straight to adult,,they've all turned out pretty good

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...maybe I'll mix the puppy formula with what's left of the adult formula I have then. Sure be nice for it not to go to waste. Its still Taste of the Wild High Prairie.

See what I'm up to!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page