He's ALWAYS hungry!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Question He's ALWAYS hungry!!!

My 5mo. old pup Max seems to be hungry all the time!

Right now he's on Royal Canin German Shepherd (Adult)
First off, yes I know... Royal Canin maybe mid level food to you guys but he loves it.

You maybe also ask why is he on Adult formulated food? Well in my other posts you maybe realize he recently got diagnosed with HD. Doc recommended it, so that's what I'm doing.

Ok, back to the real subject at hand. He's been switched lately quite a bit to different foods until we landed on Royal Canin, but it always seems (no matter the brand or ingredients) he's ALWAYS wanting more! He currently feeds 3x a day for a total of 4.5 cups a day.

He stays licking the bowl longer after eating, that it takes him to actually eat the food I put in it. And if it even seems like I'm moving toward his food container, he goes all crazy! As if I'm gonna feed him more! lol

He's already been checked for worms and parasites and all tests came back neg. So what should I do?! My pup is REALLY lean right now, and in now way want to make him fat or anything. Activity level is kinda low right now cause of my newborn... he just goes for walks and we play fetch a bit, but nothing serious enough to say "he's burning all the food and needs more".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

With RC you will have to feed more, so while 4.5 cups might seem like alot it might not be enough. Delgado ate Fromm LBP and he ate between 4-4.5 cups and he's always been a pretty ideal weight.

If you're struggling to add weight on then either up the kibble slightly to maybe 5 cups and do snacks. A little raw chicken, turkey, or beef can help fill him and add calories but in a healthy way

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
With RC you will have to feed more, so while 4.5 cups might seem like alot it might not be enough. Delgado ate Fromm LBP and he ate between 4-4.5 cups and he's always been a pretty ideal weight.

If you're struggling to add weight on then either up the kibble slightly to maybe 5 cups and do snacks. A little raw chicken, turkey, or beef can help fill him and add calories but in a healthy way

Well I do training sessions with him too, so he has treats in him tummy as well (which I figure help fill him a little more). His weight is great and doesn't seems to be losing weight (in my eyes at least).

He's never had raw before... so any good tips on introducing it to him as well as me preparing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

If he's a good weight (lean but no ribs or other bones showing clearly) then I wouldn't worry. Delgado was only 67 lbs two months ago at 17 months but it's a healthy weight and I'm not going to put extra fat on him for no reason

My only concern was when you empthasized he was "REALLY lean" which lead me to believe he was underweight and you wanted to add weight for health reasons.

There's no prep needed for feeding them a little raw meat, their system should handle it fine. If I'm making dinner I just toss the dogs a piece of the meat I'm cutting up for the meal, usually chicken or beef before any spices or anything is added. With a baby around it's probably best to feed them out of their bowls and then sanitize around it, or feed them the treat outside if you're concerned. I don't feed raw meals, just for treats so it's a small amount at a time. Chicken bones are fine for the dog to chew but it does take time to chew for most so again, outside or put in a specific area is easy to contain any mess

Shanna

My Pack:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If he's a good weight (lean but no ribs or other bones showing clearly) then I wouldn't worry. Delgado was only 67 lbs two months ago at 17 months but it's a healthy weight and I'm not going to put extra fat on him for no reason

My only concern was when you empthasized he was "REALLY lean" which lead me to believe he was underweight and you wanted to add weight for health reasons.

There's no prep needed for feeding them a little raw meat, their system should handle it fine. If I'm making dinner I just toss the dogs a piece of the meat I'm cutting up for the meal, usually chicken or beef before any spices or anything is added. With a baby around it's probably best to feed them out of their bowls and then sanitize around it, or feed them the treat outside if you're concerned. I don't feed raw meals, just for treats so it's a small amount at a time. Chicken bones are fine for the dog to chew but it does take time to chew for most so again, outside or put in a specific area is easy to contain any mess
How do you think he looks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VIDEO0046_0000045576.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	99778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0885.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	99786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130807_112855.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	99794  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

Personally I think he looks great With a diagnosis of HD you really want to make sure he's not carrying around excess weight to pressure his joints more than necessary

Shanna

My Pack:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally I think he looks great With a diagnosis of HD you really want to make sure he's not carrying around excess weight to pressure his joints more than necessary
What do you think about full raw diet
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

I think it can be a good and bad thing. I believe a raw diet trumps a kibble diet when done correctly, it does take effort and planning.

Personally I prefer a good quality kibble diet as it's much less work and I know my dogs are getting all the nutrients they need without measuring and cutting and thawing out meat and adding suppliments

You can read the RAW/BARF section of the forum for tons of information regarding the diet, there are many members of the forum who do it who can answer specific questions much better then me

Shanna

My Pack:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDNewbie1024 View Post
What do you think about full raw diet
I have my 6 month old pup on a full raw diet and he LOVES it, wouldn't change him for anything. It's got heaps of health benefits as raw bones will help clean their teeth and also give them something to do other than run around and be their mental selves. (Takes Shadow around 30 minutes to a hour to finish eating depending how much bone he is given). As far as raw feeding will go with treating HD, it would be better for weight management and muscle growth.
It will be better to put him on during his major stage of life rather than later but that's just my own opinion. (However in thier growth spurt they eat about 10% of their own body weight. so a 20kg puppy will eat 2kg of food a day!
But perhaps this can give you a bit more insight into raw feeding vs kibble feeding itself.
Myths About Raw: An Honest, Candid Conclusion
Alternatively you could check out this forum Raw Fed Pets - Forum - Index

The menagerie...
Shadow The dog
Nyx and Jynx the kitty cats
Pickles and ZZ Flashh the ratti-kins
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it can be a good and bad thing. I believe a raw diet trumps a kibble diet when done correctly, it does take effort and planning.

Personally I prefer a good quality kibble diet as it's much less work and I know my dogs are getting all the nutrients they need without measuring and cutting and thawing out meat and adding suppliments

You can read the RAW/BARF section of the forum for tons of information regarding the diet, there are many members of the forum who do it who can answer specific questions much better then me
True, and it takes time to prepare... and that's time I need to dedicate to my newborn. Maybe I'll just mix in a couple pieces of chicken with each meal of kibble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page