Getting Enough? He doesn't think so... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Getting Enough? He doesn't think so...

My coming 4 month old get one cup of puppy food, three times a day. Yet he acts like he's starving all the time. He tries to eat anything he thinks might taste good down to his own poop. The poop thing isn't just him being a puppy, he literally acts like he's soo hungry that he has to eat it. He has been seen by a vet and has completed two rounds of dewormer. The vet says he a healthy weight and looks good. Even though you can see and feel his ribs. I feel like he's under weight, but then my other is a corgi and being under weight has never been a issue with her.

He's a very good puppy, doesn't chew on the furniture and plays really well withv my one year old daughter. He just seems hungry all the time. At food time I make him lay down and wait, while I put his food in his bowl, he whines and cries the whole time and has learned how to crawl closer to me, but never gets up. If I don't put him in a down position he's jumping all over and just going wild!

So should feed him more? Or is he fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM

What type of food are you feeding him? And how is his activity level? That's where some of the more experienced people on this site will ask for first also can you post pictures ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

What are you feeding and what is the recommendation on the bag for a pup that age/size? Always the first place to start as a GUIDELINE.

If you pup is a bit slender you may need to up the amount (can you picture looking down from above and from the side so we can see?)

I'm thinking I was giving more like 4 cups a day at that age......... As adults my dogs only get from 2 to 3 cups a day.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I will get picture as soon as I can. He's pretty active most days, him and my corgi play ALOT. And I was feeding Pedigree at the time but I'm in the process of switching him to Iams. The Pedigree bag suggested one cup three times a day.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM

He may need more food then that from those brands not 100% sure though. I know the the higher the quality of the food the less you will have to feed and the lower the quality food you will have to feed more. Maybe someone else can have some more input. Also check with your vet and see if maybe you can give him 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cup 3 times a day. If you plan to stick with that food. I know I feed my girl blue buffalo wilderness and I only have to feed her 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night she is almost 7 months not and about 54lbs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not real big on the food that you've chosen. But I'm not a good person to give good reasons why you should feed something different. I'd suggest you search around this site and research the different foods.

Having said that, it sounds like your pup is very food driven. That'll make training easier for you. Count your blessings!!!!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

iams and pedigree both suck. they are full of fillers that the dog cant absorb so you have to feed more. but whatever you feed, just feed based on how your pup looks. if he looks skinny then feed more, if he looks fat then feed less. my dog acts like he's hungry ALL day. every time someone opens the fridge he'll come running and just sit there waiting. anytime someone is eating he'll want it. it doesnt even matter what it is. i could pretend to eat rocks and he'll sit there and staring longingly at it. he is not underweight. if anything he's a little chubby. he just LOVES food.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I certainly take everything into consideration.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
iams and pedigree both suck. they are full of fillers that the dog cant absorb so you have to feed more. but whatever you feed, just feed based on how your pup looks. if he looks skinny then feed more, if he looks fat then feed less. my dog acts like he's hungry ALL day. every time someone opens the fridge he'll come running and just sit there waiting. anytime someone is eating he'll want it. it doesnt even matter what it is. i could pretend to eat rocks and he'll sit there and staring longingly at it. he is not underweight. if anything he's a little chubby. he just LOVES food.
Just feeding more when he should be getting enough nutrients with what he's being given is a recipe for disaster. If his body is having a reaction to the food and rejecting it, he won't necessarily put on weight. What if he is unable to process that kibble, etc etc. Just feeding more and more and more if he looks skinny can just lead to a nice bout of puppy howitzer butt.

We dealt with this for almost 9 months with our Doberman and eventually found out she was allergic to almost every protein source and as such it's been Kangaroo ever since.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

And yes it has been easy to teach him things because he's so food driven. It didn't take no time for him to learn sit and down. We're still working on stay but so far he's pretty good at it. I have noticed he quit itching since I switched him to Iams, I know it's not the first choice for some people but I talked to my vet about it and she said it was fine to feed him the large puppy food by Iams. I will call tomorrow to ask about the issue with him eating his poop and I can do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page