8 months....still runny stool. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

8 months....still runny stool.

Ok Ender is now 8 months old...and doing great..for the most part....his training is going super well...doing agility to keep him occupied...stays out of trouble aside from the normal land shark behavior. But I cannot seem to win the poop battle...He has been on multiple top of the line foods...3 vets....and been tested for mulitple things...IE. giardia, EPI...had a full blood screen run....ive gone all over...and spent ALOT of money....but ill keep doing it if it is what is needed to keep him healthy....

currently he is eating 3 meals a day....close to 5 cups of dry and one can of wet mixed in spread out over the three meals. He is on wellness core puppy...and wellness turkey/sweet potato for wet canned food. I always get "youre over feeding your dog...your dog is skinny...he is sick thats why he has the runs all the time"...i'm really at a loss...as of now he is on probiotics and enzymes with his morning and nightly meal...from the vet...and his stool is soft serve at BEST....i have a hose out because picking it up is impossible ....we have another appointment at the vet on Wednesday because im worried that keeping him on so many supplements has underutilized his pancreases or something along those lines...

He is super active...he goes everywhere i go...great with other dogs and people....hikes swims and the works....any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130719_134901_803.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	95978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130719_134907_114.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	95986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130722_123012_883.jpg
Views:	1622
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	95994  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

we tried pro enzymes and my GSD had soft serve or looser poo also. We put him on fresh digest and as long as he is kept on his normal diet he does well. He had a looser poo a few days ago, but he is back to normal mow.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Master Member

stop with the wet food..he doesn't need it

Piper ~01/16/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zeus ~ 10/18/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Add some regular white rice to his chow helped mine right away!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

Could it be colitis? It is diagnosed by colonoscopy and a biopsy. It is usually caused by IBD, but there are other contributors that might cause it. I am not very familiar with it, so it would be best to consult with a trusted vet. Also, have you thought about looking for a second opinion? I am not undermining your current vet, but sometimes it helps looking for a 2nd, 3rd opinion when it is a chronic issue and none of the prescribed solutions have worked. I have gone on for 2nd, 3rd opinions even though I loved my primary vet (when we lived in San Diego) at other respectable clinics for my GSD.

This is just food for thought, but have you thought about re-vamping Ender's diet completely?

My friend breeds working Goldens in NH and has a male that developed dire rear issues since puppyhood (~ 12 weeks) and despite multiple vet visits & trying different high quality kibble, could not calm his digestive tract. Every time he came off the bland diet and back on kibble, the cycle would start. They had fair success with California Natural, but his system would still wonk out on occasion.

Finally a friend suggested the raw diet. By then she was so desperate, she gave it a shot. It was 100% successful, even doing away with chronic ear infections & hot spots. Several months later, she converted the rest of her pack to raw as well and has been feeding that ever since. This was years ago, when I was still in college, but that story always stuck with me. The pup is still around, happy and healthy. :-)

I am not pushing for raw, but since there are similarities, that you would be interested to hear about it.

Good luck, and I hope Endar and you find a workable solution soon.

ps: Usually when my dog has runny stool, I put her on a bland diet with some pro-biotics till her system calms down. It is different for one whose dog has chronic diarrhea, but perhaps you can just do a burger & rice diet till his stool hardens up.. and slowly reintroduce the kibble.

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Master Member

wellness is known for soft stools. and 5 cups a day is WAY too much and is part of the runny stool problem. switch him to another food and lower his food intake to 2 cups a day NO wet and see how it goes. the more food you feed the more he will poop and the more runnier it will be. and NEVER go by what the bag says to feed lol... some dogs dont do well on some foods which is why he isnt gaining weight and has runny stools. if all parasites have been ruled out even leptospiridosis then switch foods and only feed 2 cups a day no wet

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Master Member

ps at 8 months old get him on adult food.. he doesnt need puppy food anymore, no need for top of the line food either, some dogs cant tolerate the richnesss of top of the line foods. put him on a middle road food like merrick, canidae, natural balance, something along those lines and cut the food intake back.

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Elite Member

prozyme, pumpkin and carrots helped us allot =0) + no chicken and all that other no corn, gluten etc..

Ruby {SG1, VP1, VP3 USCA Sieger Show, Kati Von den Oher Tannen} - Red/Black 11-15-2013
Zeus {Ymka Von den Oher Tannen, CGC} - Red/Black 01-07-2013
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

The Wellness Core Puppy formula is a primarily chicken-based formula and all of the protein comes from chicken and turkey. Have you considered that he may not digest chicken/fowl well or tolerate them? You could try changing him gradually to a beef formula, a fish-based formula or a novel protein as we are seeing in more and more dog foods such as bison, boar, rabbit, etc. His runny stool may be as simple as an ingredient in his food. Wellness Core Puppy is also 36% protein which I think is pretty high. I would look in to other options and, if he were mine, I would try a fish-based food. Read the labels carefully, however. Many foods have fish and novel proteins, but there is still chicken in the listing of ingredients.

I hope this helps.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersGame View Post
Ok Ender is now 8 months old...and doing great..for the most part....his training is going super well...doing agility to keep him occupied...stays out of trouble aside from the normal land shark behavior. But I cannot seem to win the poop battle...He has been on multiple top of the line foods...3 vets....and been tested for mulitple things...IE. giardia, EPI...had a full blood screen run....ive gone all over...and spent ALOT of money....but ill keep doing it if it is what is needed to keep him healthy....

currently he is eating 3 meals a day....close to 5 cups of dry and one can of wet mixed in spread out over the three meals. He is on wellness core puppy...and wellness turkey/sweet potato for wet canned food. I always get "youre over feeding your dog...your dog is skinny...he is sick thats why he has the runs all the time"...i'm really at a loss...as of now he is on probiotics and enzymes with his morning and nightly meal...from the vet...and his stool is soft serve at BEST....i have a hose out because picking it up is impossible ....we have another appointment at the vet on Wednesday because im worried that keeping him on so many supplements has underutilized his pancreases or something along those lines...

He is super active...he goes everywhere i go...great with other dogs and people....hikes swims and the works....any ideas?
I think with 5 cups a day your right at the upper threshold of daily amouts. I feed Blue Buffalo LB Puppy and they recommend 4 and 1/4 cup per day and 5 at the most. Tried 5 cups and he had soft to runny stools. I cut him back to 4 per day.

What does the current food your feeding him now recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page