Any suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Any suggestions?

I have a 1 year old little girl who is beyond stubborn at eating her food. We started her out at 8 weeks on purina puppy chow (which she did excellent with) then moved up to purina dog chow. When we first put her on the dog chow she didn't have a problem. She would eat three bowls a day no problem. But I noticed she started to slack at eating. I started having to hand feed her. Long story short, she ended up having Panosteitis, which caused her to not want to eat or play. We took her to the vet and she was out on pain medicine for about two months and on heavy rest. (She was also limping) after that went away I noticed her appetite coming back. Her joy for playing and all over happiness was there again. A short time after she once again didn't want to eat. It was just like she was bored with the food. My husband and I switched go a new dog food that is a Buchheits brand and is used by a lot of trainers we know to help dogs gain weight (since she had lost some in the previous months)
Once I switched to those, she ate it up no problem. But now she is back to not wanting to eat it. If I sit next to her bowl and point to it and tell her to eat she will take a few bites then look up at me I have to continuously tell her to eat until her bowl is empty.
She doesn't have this problem with snack, bones, or any type of other treat we try to give her. She is a small do as it is, the runt of the litter, and is only about 40 pounds. But to me she looks pretty tiny. I am worried she is not eating enough.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Any suggestions?-imageuploadedbypg-free1375022491.220952.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

Buchheit seem to be a store not a dog food brand? It also seems to be Diamond products.Diamond Pet Foods Retailer - Buchheit Centralia in Centralia, Illinois (Pet Supply) - Location & Hours

Diamond had HUGE recalls last year. I don't trust them!
“Cross contamination, filthy and unmaintained equipment, no hand washing stations, employees without gloves… it all sounds like a description of the food industry before health and safety regulations were put into place, right?Unfortunately, these are all observations made by the FDA during an April 2012 inspection of Diamond Pet Food Plant.” FDA Inspection Report Shows Disgusting Conditions at Diamond Pet Foods Plant | The Dogington Post

Try a food such as Fromms or Acana or The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food. It would also help to toss her some raw meat when you are making dinner every night!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM

She is a cutie...my girl is on the small side too. Similar on how she eats (13 months -55pds)
My girl had tummy problems when she was little. I switched to Taste of the Wild. No tummy issues, very soft coat...
My vet said she is fine and not to worry. She is going next week for her check up.
My boy is 9 months and 90 pds.
I free feed so they have as much as they want, actually they never over eat.
Check with your vet, but she's probably fine just on the small side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=AngVi;3932818]She is a cutie...my girl is on the small side too. Similar on how she eats (13 months -55pds)
My girl had tummy problems when she was little. I switched to Taste of the Wild. No tummy issues, very soft coat...
My vet said she is fine and not to worry. She is going next week for her check up.
My boy is 9 months and 90 pds.
I free feed so they have as much as they want, actually they never over eat.
Check with your vet, but she's probably fine just on the small side.

I am not criticizing here, just sharing some information.
If dogs eat many times per day, they have to "digest" many times per day which is not good for their system. When a dry kibble is served, whether it is a non-grain or grain kibble, the dog‘s digestive system has to extract water from its’ tissues in order for the food to move through the intestinal track. Years and years of moisture being extracted from the intestine system can lead to compromised conditions in some dogs AND 65% of disease begins in the gut! This is the reason it is best to always pour water over your dogs’ dry kibble.

Below are a few comments from the internet:

*"Even if your dog isn’t overweight, you should still reconsider free choice feeding. A loss of appetite is one of the first signs of many illnesses. Sure, you’ll eventually notice when your dog has stopped eating entirely (or maybe not if you think someone else in the house is topping off the bowl), but by that point the disease may have progressed past a critical point. I can’t overemphasize how important early diagnosis is to successful treatment."

*"Feeding routines are the basic relationship builder. Whoever has control of the primary resource (food) is the master in the dog's eyes. Nearly every problem dog that I encounter is free-fed (owner puts food in bowl and food stays there until dog eats it, food sitting on floor all day long).

Good feeding routines are necessary for health reasons, too. The first sign of many dangerous health problems is that the dog loses his appetite. Another sign of major health problems are changes in bowel and urination tendencies. These things are impossible to observe in a dog that is free-fed. By the time you see other symptoms, the problem can be much more serious than if you had noticed it earlier (such as a bowel blockage, which can be quickly fatal)."

Hope this helps. She is PRECIOUS, BTW
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page