Gets bored after half the bag is gone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Gets bored after half the bag is gone?

Oh where to start with my beloved Zelda

The first half bag of Blue Buffalo she loved, she ate some in the AM and all in PM that i offered. Now she will eat in the PM around 8-10 PM and refuses to eat in the AM (Once every who knows whne, she will surprise me and eat a little bit for AM, and sometimse she will eat some in the afternoon, i offer her food 3 times a day) And anyways just today she vomitted yellow foam, bile, more than likely due to an empty stomach. She has done this before.

Amoung many other things, Zelda happens to be a picky sensitive stomach pup! So i cant just go around trying different foods and different brands, (which i would love to do!) because she will have runny, loose, watery stools- and i dont want to do that to her again! (I found out it was the EN wet, that was the current cause of her diarrhea, and perhaps certain treats like natural balance rolls, because everything else she was in check and was free from parasites,etc.)

The lady i got Zelda from at 4.5 months, was feeding her Purina, so i transitioned it to Healthwise. And for a long time she was having diarrhea and soft stools. So i had her on wet EN when she did have it. Sometimes it helped sometimes it didnt. I think the diarrhea was from the first food change, stress, than the Wet food, the wet EN, and than the surgery, and the natural balance rolls. She is currently on large breed puppy Blue Buffalo- and she has fabulous stools! (sorry i work at a vet and a shelter so i see stools from animals all the time and know a healthy stool when i see one!)

What can i do to make her food more interesting? I cant do wet food, something easy on the stomach and preferably no big food transitions. Unless there is an absolutely yummy food that is healthy and a decent price.

Thanks guys!

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

Zelda has been eating her blue buffalo real well. Now she is full. That is fine - when she is hungry again she will eat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Master Member

Why no wet food? A couple spoonfuls of wet food mixed in with the kibble would be the first thing I'd try. If your pup is very picky I'd keep some green tripe based canned food around to doctor the kibble up with. Solid Gold makes a nice green tripe based canned food, and even better, if you can find it (may have to order online) are the Tripett canned foods made by PetKind. Most dogs, picky eaters or not, will go nuts for green tripe and getting it canned is much easier than sourcing it fresh, not to mention easier to store and feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Be careful with starting the habit of trying to add many different rotations of toppers.

I went through the same thing and had tried different kibbles, eggs, beef, and all different kinds of flavored wet food and she realized that she could get new flavors when she didn't eat.

I then stopped, she didn't eat for maybe 2 days, and now she eats the same kibble and likes it too. Food goes in, less than 5 minutes later it's all gone.

Sometimes I'll break up a biscuit and throw it in there, but no more wet stuff that you have to throw away all the kibble when the dog doesn't want to eat.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 AM

Just my experience but my pup did not have very much interest in kibble...she was not eating nearly enough then I finally tried raw food and she LOVES it. It can be expensive though
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds like Titan when he was little.. he would do the same thing, I experiemented with about 9 different brands and flavors of kibble. We were doing well on Blue Buffalo for a while but then got bored again. I switched to Raw and he hated that too. Was not at all crazy about the texture of poultry or organ meats. So that was a wash. We went back to kibble searching again... he has skin issues, SO it was now down to no poultry and something good for the skin. I settled on Nature's Recipe Salmon, Pumpkin and Sweet Potato. It's grain free and supposed ot be good on sensitive stomach too. You should check it out. Titan has been on it for over a year now and absolutely loves it. Hasn't refused it once (unless he was sick). I sometimes put things in it on the weekend like plain yogurt, cottage cheese, wet food (same brand and flavor), etc. Titan gets frozen sweet potato fries as treats too.

Here is the link. It's cheaper than Blue Buffalo too. I get the largest bag and I believe it's about $45.

Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Recipe - Grain Free - Ultra Premium - Nature's Recipe®

Hope that helped a little.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Banned

i feed my dog all kinds of toppers. sometimes i feed him plain
kibble (no toppers). i also switch his kibble a lot and i keep
a variety of brands and flavors of can food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post

Be careful with starting the habit of trying to add many different rotations of toppers.

I went through the same thing and had tried different kibbles, eggs, beef, and all different kinds of flavored wet food and she realized that she could get new flavors when she didn't eat.

I then stopped, she didn't eat for maybe 2 days, and now she eats the same kibble and likes it too. Food goes in, less than 5 minutes later it's all gone.

Sometimes I'll break up a biscuit and throw it in there, but no more wet stuff that you have to throw away all the kibble when the dog doesn't want to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page