Dietary Fat Intolerance (AKA pancreatic insufficiency) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Dietary Fat Intolerance (AKA pancreatic insufficiency)

Fed my pup (6 months old) a baked 'marrow bone' last night and this AM we are at the vet's office with severe vomiting/frothing at the mouth.

He suggests that the pup has a common GSD problem (?) of being incapable of processing fat.

I am in the process of trying to find a low fat diet to help him gain a bit of weight and be healthy.

Any body have this experience? This is my fourth GSD and the first to be intolerant of fat.

Dee loves Jack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

Is your vet referring to "Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency" (EPI) or pancreatitis? My Heidi had chronic pancreatitis and Nikki has EPI. If it's EPI will need more than a diet change. Here is a link: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Michaela

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeC52000 View Post
Fed my pup (6 months old) a baked 'marrow bone' last night and this AM we are at the vet's office with severe vomiting/frothing at the mouth.

He suggests that the pup has a common GSD problem (?) of being incapable of processing fat.

I am in the process of trying to find a low fat diet to help him gain a bit of weight and be healthy.

Any body have this experience? This is my fourth GSD and the first to be intolerant of fat.
Was bloodwork done? Was the pancreatic level checked to verify the diagnosis or was it a guess on the part of the vet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

OMG! This is my dog's problem. It even explains the aggression he is exhibiting. I will seek a blood test to confirm this EPI condition ASAP.

You are so kind to respond and share this link. I have just been beside myself with worry. Jake has only been with me for 8 days but our bond is strong. Thanks so much for helping me to get him assistance.

Dee loves Jack!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

You are so welcome We will help you and Jake through this and the EPI group is just wonderful. I don't know what I would have done without them. You experienced some aggression with him? Interesting we'll have to talk soon, there are some articles on EPI you can request from your library that are really interesting. I'll get the info for you when I have more time.

Here is the test Jake needs and I would also check his B12 & Folate at the same time:

TLI to confirm EPI: Serum Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity (TLI) - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
Cobalamin/Folate: Serum Cobalamin (Vitamin B12) and Folate - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences

If he has EPI you can get his enzymes at a very reasonable cost from Enzyme Diane: Enzyme Diane -

Michaela

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Crowned Member

I feed mine Annamaet Lean. It has 30% protein and like 9% fat. It is good for dogs with pancreatic issues. All four of my dogs do well on it. I made the mistake of not special ordering it last time and my male has loose poop again. No more mistakes on my end, because it comes right out his end

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like she had acute pancreatitis. There is a big difference between that an EPI. How was his diagnosis made?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM

My first German Shepherd had this problem. He did not have EPI, but could not tolerate fat. The only food we found that he could eat was Evo Weight Management. It is grain free which seemed to help. He could not eat dog treats unless they were low in fat also. I would think any quality low fat food would help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Elite Member

You mention only having your pup for eight days. How has the stool been for the entire 8 days? If there were no problems until the marrow bone, you might have something else going on. What was your dog eating before you got him eight days ago?

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page