Kirkland Puppy Premium Chicken and Rice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Kirkland Puppy Premium Chicken and Rice

After doing some re-search and some postive reviews I wanted to try Kirkland brand a try. We have been feeding Maggie Puppy Chow Total since we got her last month. I realize dog food can get expensive. And at 20lbs I think for about $15 not a bad deal. Plus it is made by Diamond just for Costco. Has anyone else tried this any have any luck with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
After doing some re-search and some postive reviews I wanted to try Kirkland brand a try. We have been feeding Maggie Puppy Chow Total since we got her last month. I realize dog food can get expensive. And at 20lbs I think for about $15 not a bad deal. Plus it is made by Diamond just for Costco. Has anyone else tried this any have any luck with it?
Almost every one of the Diamond manufactured pet foods were recalled last year. Personally, I don't trust them. IMHO, you'd be better off paying more for a better quality dog food (healthier ingredient list) like Nature's Variety Chicken & Rice = 15 pounds for $30 Nature's Variety Prairie Large Breed Puppy Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Medley Dry Dog Food
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

I have used Kirkland Puppy and Adult Chicken for a year and find it to be an outstanding product. Palatable, good protein/fat ratio, no loose stool or constipation. Excellent price-point. I mix it with ProPlan Sport for my more active dogs.
My dogs had frequent loose stool on Diamond Extreme Athlete and did well on 4Health. Diamond is behind all of those foods. I got salmonella from Diamond Extreme Athlete; I fed three of the bags from the recall lots. All my dogs were fine; I was the only one affected. The recalls are more for human safety than pet safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
I have used Kirkland Puppy and Adult Chicken for a year and find it to be an outstanding product. Palatable, good protein/fat ratio, no loose stool or constipation. Excellent price-point. I mix it with ProPlan Sport for my more active dogs.
My dogs had frequent loose stool on Diamond Extreme Athlete and did well on 4Health. Diamond is behind all of those foods. I got salmonella from Diamond Extreme Athlete; I fed three of the bags from the recall lots. All my dogs were fine; I was the only one affected. The recalls are more for human safety than pet safety.
Thanks for the positive reply this makes me feel a little better. More piece of mind sort of thing. We will try this bag or two and see how she does. How did this do for his/her coat? Did your dogs eat less because it has more nutrients than cheaper food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Elite Member

My vet feeds kirkland food to his dogs and recommended it to me. He feeds adult lamb and whatever else is in it. My parents also feed kirkland food to their dogs. The gran free version. They are happy with it.

I don't feed kirkland myself, but it seems like good food.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
My vet feeds kirkland food to his dogs and recommended it.
Same here.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 AM

I did the switch this weekend from Blue to the Kirkland Plenum Adult Chicken and Brown Rice formula, and Odin took one bite and left it. He would not eat all day.

For the next morning he still wouldn't eat it, so I went and took it back and tried the Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon formula, and he gobbled it up.

My only objection to this food is Canola Oil, but since even the famous Orijen is using Canola Oil for their fish formula, I've conceded to this ingredient.

As for the Guaranteed Analysis, it's 24% protein compared to Blue's 34% protein for their salmon formula which also has chicken, but the feeding guidelines is more cups for puppies to make up for it.

Odin at 11 months is eating 7 cups per day as suggested on the bag.

I like Blue, but the $55 price for 24lb has become unreasonable when Kirkland is nearly as good for half the price for a 35lb bag.

The $55 membership pays itself after two bags in my case.

Last edited by Belmont; 07-01-2013 at 05:25 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 AM

Premium Adult*

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Knighted Member

Did you mix the foods together and gradually over a few weeks or longer if needed switch him over? If possible you don't just want to abruptly switch foods like that, it can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Once a food upsets my dog stomach he won't touch it anymore.

And wow 7 cups?! My 10 month old only eats 3, he's on Orijen but its the only kibble he does well on.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Knighted Member

7 cups of food is a lot, I use both foods you mention and and Earthborne Holistic, my dogs aren't eating much because of the heat. It's been hit & miss with them.
My big male, 120lbs only eats about 3 cups of kibble a day.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page