How much food do you buy a month? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question How much food do you buy a month?

I swear Rex (7 months) is gonna eat us into the poor house. I've never seen a dog eat like him. I honestly didn't notice it right away, my hubby has been having health problems (had a heart attack) and Rex's training and supervision has been lacking on my part. We have a 4 yr old lab too and we've been going through a 30lb bag of food in a week! Is that normal, or have my past dogs just been lighter eaters? I think it's excessive, so I started measuring out what he was eating....6-8 cups a day (2 cup scoop - 2 scoops 2x a day)! That's more than double what he should be getting, right? Oh, and he's not overweight, he gets LOTS of exercise, if anything he seems to be a normal looking "lanky" boy right now. Last vet appointment just a few months ago when he got fixed, he weighed 70lbs. But he's built bigger than any other GSD I've had. We call him Mr. Monster Paws! He's literally his father's size...now, just skinnier.
Any suggestions on how to rein this in?

Donna

Rex - male GSD
Smudge - male Black Lab
Butters and Frank - the kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Crowned Member

If he's active and working off the calories he's taking in, that's normal. I've heard of active dogs his age literally eating as much as 10 cups a day and burning through the calories.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Knighted Member

What kind of kibble is he on? A lot of time if they're eating a lower quality kibble they will have to eat more of it. My 10 month old is on raw now because he never did very well on kibble but when he was on it he only ate 3 cups a day. The kibble he'd been on were Fromm and Orijen... Certainly an active pup will burn a lot of calories and might need more food while they're growing but what they're eating can play a part to.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Elite Member

The quality of food and activity level will do it. When my pup was active in SAR training, it wasn't unusual to plow through 5 or 6 cups of food a day. Switching to a high quality food dropped that to between 3 and 4 even with active training.

I will admit, IMHO, 30 lbs in a week seems like a lot of food...15lbs per dog. Could it be your pups have no "food filter" and would eat as much as you would put in front of them? I have a Pom like that; she will eat until she's sick...then keep eating like nothing happened.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 AM
Knighted Member

That's another thing too, just because they act hungry doesn't mean they should eat whenever they beg... One of my dogs is the same as above, she'll eat till she's sick. 70lbs is awful big for a 7 month old, you want them growing slowly, if they grow too fast it can be rough on their joints and they can get pano. Though some dogs are just bigger but he doesn't nessecarily need to eat every time he acts hungry though I know it can be hard to resist.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Banned

a bag of food cost $59.00 to $89.00 for 4 to 6 weeks use. can
food is $1.69 to $2.79. the prices vary on the food because
i'm always switching brands. i also feed raw ground beef,
fowl, fish and fruit. i feed my dog 1 cup in the am and 1 cup
in the pm. normally his kibble has a topping.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 AM

We have two puppies. One is six months old, one is three. They both get around 3 cups a day. The young girl is about to get more, while the older guy is about to get less. They are both very active, and very healthy. We feed them Go! Fit and Free. Its $80/25lbs bag. Lasts between 10-14 days. I haven't actually calculated.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Crowned Member

I have four dogs and I buy a 30 pound of one flavor and a 40 pound bag of another. That lasts me right about a month. I pay about $110 per month for food.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Crowned Member

One 26lb bag a month (Fromm Four Star grain free line), I go through 4-4.5 cups a day between both dogs

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Shade; 06-25-2013 at 07:56 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Elite Member

I have a 8 month old female and she is on GO! Sensitivity a 28lb bag was lasting around a month but now instead of lasting her nearly 4 weeks its lasting around 3 weeks. She was getting 2.5 cups a day to 3 cups a day but we are now doing SAR training every other day as well as our regular training and up to 3 hours of walking a day (no less tan 2 hours of walking) plus going to friends places to play with their dogs so she has been REALLY active and the SAR training burns A LOT of energy so she is now eating 5 cups a day. Every month Im paying roughly $125+ a month for food as she also gets toppers such as natural yogurt, eggs, a little bit of raw meat, and pumpkin and sweet potato.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in